Discuss Any quick calcs to get a rough min Zs allowable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Any quick calcs to get a rough estimate min Zs allowable for protective devices MCB, BS-88 etc, Im thinking in an exam saves time even looking at the tables if there's a fast ball park check rule of thumb.

Zs < V/ 5In for B type. e.g.for a 32A . Zs < 230/(5 x32) i.e. 230/160 = 1.4375. ( then apply correction factors).
Zs < V/10In for C type.
Zs < V/20In for D type.

Not sure how these quick calculations will save you time if you have the Tables to hand, it is just something else to remember.

not forgot. stated in post to apply correction factors.

anyway, cmin is to allow for voltages below 230V. what about when the voltage is > 230V. ????

agreed. was just considering the 0.4 secs, as most circuits (apart from distribution ccts) are 0.4,

We have to use the worst case scenario as given in the regulations or use manufacturers data.
As we know the voltage measured could be anywhere between 230-250 v or whatever really.
You know what they are like regarding changing regulations and moving the goalposts

makes you wonder why installations done before the advent of digital test meters ever managed to survive , when readings were +/- 0.5 ohms on an AVO8

Reply to Any quick calcs to get a rough min Zs allowable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net