Discuss Any Reason for Outboard Rockers in Kitchen? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

aesmith

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
Not relating to any planned DIY, but something I've wondered about. When our house was rewired they used MK Logic Plus for everything. All the sockets except in the kitchen are the normal type, all those in the kitchen are the outboard rocker version. Is there any special reason for preferring that type, in a kitchen but not elsewhere?
Thanks, Tony S

Probably ran out of stock.

Outboard rockers are generally used to prevent inadvertently switching the wrong side off as they are not next to each other.

The MK outboard rocker sockets were usually the ones that featured dual earth terminals whereas the standard ones did not. Probably a standard feature now though.

I thought the "outboard" rockers were to do with mobility and accessibility!

Cheers. The "normal" MK sockets at that time (2011) only had a single earth terminal. Kitchen sockets are on a separate circuit but the same type of MCB (B32) and same cable (2.5sq.mm) as the other socket circuits.

I guess a kitchen is more likely to have high power devices in both sockets, for example kettle and toaster, but the MK info doesn't indicate any different rating. Aside from the dual earth terminal, and greater convenience the other difference seems to be that they cost twice as much, which was why I thought they wouldn't have just been chosen on a whim. Maybe to the trade there's not so much difference?

It is generally to stop switching the wrong one on or off, so yes this could be a reason.

Yes I think you're right there.
When I worked for a company that did a lot of council work though these were specced, but not for the rocker position, for the dual earth terminal.
The inboard rocker version only had a single earth terminal.

I think the dual earth terminal and outboard rocker sort of coincided with Section 607 at the time for the use of dual earth terminals, the outboard rocker used to prevent inadvertent switching of IT equipment.

Outboard rockers are generally used to prevent inadvertently switching the wrong side off as they are not next to each other.

Probably a future requirement , as Britain ages .

( My mates cleaner left a sandwich toaster turned on ...)
( turning microwave on/off )
--turning the fridge/freezer off is an insurance job now --

These used to be referred to as hospital sockets, but as far as I know are intended to be used wherever the possibility of inadvertently switching off the wrong socket is not desired.

These used to be referred to as hospital sockets, but as far as I know are intended to be used wherever the possibility of inadvertently switching off the wrong socket is not desired.
I have never heard that reference before.

these rockers???

takes me back to the old Matchless 500 days.

1-.jpg

Which one is you:D

Reply to Any Reason for Outboard Rockers in Kitchen? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net