Discuss Any Recomendations for a UPS Power Supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Davisonp, post: 1294630, member: 29842"]This is what I have suggested. A “Continuous” UPS for less than £200.

I was wondering whether the UPS will synchronise with the supply phase (like the PV inverters)?

Try this lot they may be able to help, it's been a while since I used anyone,Voltage Stabilizers - Single and Three Phase Stabilizer Solutions - https://www.ashleyedison.com/voltage-stabilisers-660/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrf3y6Kbh1QIVVMYbCh3kewOMEAAYASAAEgLpZ_D_BwE[/QUOTE]

Thank you. That sounds like great advice.

I will pass on your post and link to my bosses and hope they will at least enquire about the services.

From the description I am also not convinced that a UPS would help. I an not a professional electrician (although my degree was in Electrical Engineering 50+ years ago) however I have worked in IT as a senior electronics design and network engineer supplying large and complex IT solutions both for industrial process control as well as for commercial and military use so have experienced many power distribution issues over the years.

I am not familiar with the specific Thin Client devices you are referring to but have designed systems using a variety of them over the years. They are very simple computer devices which typically use less power than laptop or desktop computers. If they are well designed they should cope with office mains. If there is a problem with "dirty" mains this might require a mains filter rather than a UPS. Nearby lifts and their control gear have been notorious in this respect but the impact would be intermittent. Are there any standard desktop PCs in the area? If they work OK then it may point to an excessively sensitive Thin client. Do you have the specific make and model.

You have not said how they are networked but there could be an issue here with the network cabling injecting noise into the computers and this could be upsetting the devices.

I have never known a supply problem to cause such symptoms and I have seen some severe problems with industrial supplies.

From the description I am also not convinced that a UPS would help. I an not a professional electrician (although my degree was in Electrical Engineering 50+ years ago) however I have worked in IT as a senior electronics design and network engineer supplying large and complex IT solutions both for industrial process control as well as for commercial and military use so have experienced many power distribution issues over the years.

I am not familiar with the specific Thin Client devices you are referring to but have designed systems using a variety of them over the years. They are very simple computer devices which typically use less power than laptop or desktop computers. If they are well designed they should cope with office mains. If there is a problem with "dirty" mains this might require a mains filter rather than a UPS. Nearby lifts and their control gear have been notorious in this respect but the impact would be intermittent. Are there any standard desktop PCs in the area? If they work OK then it may point to an excessively sensitive Thin client. Do you have the specific make and model.

You have not said how they are networked but there could be an issue here with the network cabling injecting noise into the computers and this could be upsetting the devices.

I have never known a supply problem to cause such symptoms and I have seen some severe problems with industrial supplies.

Thank you,

The first thing I did was to unplug the screen, Ethernet, mouse and keyboard and try booting the computer with just the 12V supply plugged in. The start-up results were exactly the same as reported to me. Computer has a blue light come on, then about two seconds later, it shuts off. Move it to another part of the building and the computer boots successfully.

I agree that this sounds to me like an over sensitive computer rather than severe supply issue.

I forgot to add a comment about an earlier comment in this thread. Most UPS devices I have used, at least the lower cost ones including the APC one I bought earlier this year, do not generate sinusoidal output. It describes its output as a stepped square wave approximating to a sine wave. This is acceptable to most computer equipment.

This link shows the typical waveform.
Minuteman UPS FAQs - http://www.minutemanups.com/support/pwr_un10.php

From the description I am also not convinced that a UPS would help...

For what it's worth, I agree.
If I've understood correctly the clue is that it boots in another room, implying perhaps a field effect? Why not try a 12V battery and see if it boots, then try that in a couple of locations.

Reply to Any Recomendations for a UPS Power Supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net