Discuss Anybody experienced with LED... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi just after picking your brains. Had some quotes on LED fittings and as the client wants it as cheap as possible I have opted to explore the option of buying single anti corrosive 70w fittings and using LED lamp inside of them. All well and good except I need three of these emergency. They will be 230V lamps so how would they work on a 12V back up. I was going off the idea of having a desperate battery pack mounted next to the fitting. One wholesaler has said they will but I can't see how. My more trusted wholesaler has said he doesn't think they will work correctly in emergency mode. Does this post make sense? If it does any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm used to just putting in standard expensive LED fittings.

oh I have tried to speak to both Thorn and NVC technical but I might as well have asked the cat **** festering in my garden.

If you can not buy a purpose built unit, the only way will be emergency inverter unit with battery backup. The cables supply the light fitting will need to be run in FP200 or pyro to meet standards....see BS5266

It's a garage and all fittings are suspended from hookplates and chain at the moment with Klik plugs. I'll put my hands up and say LED is something I know little about. Fitted quite a lot but they are just out of the box with a nice flex on haha.

It's a garage and all fittings are suspended from hookplates and chain at the moment with Klik plugs. I'll put my hands up and say LED is something I know little about. Fitted quite a lot but they are just out of the box with a nice flex on haha.
Well theres your answer, inverter, 3 core + e PF200, and changeover relay in fitting.

Or maybe LEDlighting can give you and equivalent to a 70w tube

For anyone thinking of messing with LEDs, yes these are fantastic devises which save upto 95% off customers lighting bill! but please unless you know what your doing keep to the B22 and GU10 bulbs!
dont venture into anything past 20w as these are deadly!
everyone thinks LEDs run cold - YOUR wrong! I have never used anything which can get to over 200 degrees in less than 30seconds before I used a 50w LED chip.

even a simple 10w chip can hit 200 degrees before you know it! And yes they will catch fire!
how ever If an LED heats past 100degrees it stops working!, past 50 degrees it Halfs its life to 25,000 hours!

these cheap Chinese bulbs which replace 500w sons and MH don't work nor last, and yes they catch fire, this is because they are closed in and can't expel the heat quick enough!

i have been studying new LEDs (Cree chips) for 18 months now, and using LEDs for the past 10 years!

any questions give me a shout and I will talk you through it

Does any one have any data or personal knowledge of the temperatures of lamps and chassis of GU10 5W LEDS ?
I posted this question about a week ago and got a very useful response from Richard Burns.

The reason I asked about lamp and the chassis was that I wondered if the the conical part behind the lamp would get very hot very quickly because of the heat sink effect and still pose a fire risk.

For anyone thinking of messing with LEDs, yes these are fantastic devises which save upto 95% off customers lighting bill! but please unless you know what your doing keep to the B22 and GU10 bulbs!
dont venture into anything past 20w as these are deadly!
everyone thinks LEDs run cold - YOUR wrong! I have never used anything which can get to over 200 degrees in less than 30seconds before I used a 50w LED chip.

even a simple 10w chip can hit 200 degrees before you know it! And yes they will catch fire!
how ever If an LED heats past 100degrees it stops working!, past 50 degrees it Halfs its life to 25,000 hours!

these cheap Chinese bulbs which replace 500w sons and MH don't work nor last, and yes they catch fire, this is because they are closed in and can't expel the heat quick enough!

i have been studying new LEDs (Cree chips) for 18 months now, and using LEDs for the past 10 years!

any questions give me a shout and I will talk you through it

You'll be lucky to see 25,000 hours out of a perfectly installed LED lamp. All these fantastic lamp life working hours are based on factory controlled conditions, that in the real world are nigh-on impossible to replicate. A 20,000 hour typical lamp life is far more realistic than these wonderland 50,000/35,000 claims....

Hi just after picking your brains. Had some quotes on LED fittings and as the client wants it as cheap as possible I have opted to explore the option of buying single anti corrosive 70w fittings and using LED lamp inside of them. All well and good except I need three of these emergency. They will be 230V lamps so how would they work on a 12V back up. I was going off the idea of having a desperate battery pack mounted next to the fitting. One wholesaler has said they will but I can't see how. My more trusted wholesaler has said he doesn't think they will work correctly in emergency mode. Does this post make sense? If it does any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm used to just putting in standard expensive LED fittings.

oh I have tried to speak to both Thorn and NVC technical but I might as well have asked the cat **** festering in my garden.
It is a shame your going down the cheap route, I know a great company who can do anything LED related and know the local rep well, they won't be cheap though, and I wouldn't offer any customer cheap LED lights either, a can of worms, a crown of thorns, a booby trap, LOL

Oh and i have been back on to the wholesaler who told me that the emergency lights would work with the lamp and battery back up, he phoned me back about 15 minutes later and said.. oh no iv sold hundreds of these in the last couple of weeks.

Reply to Anybody experienced with LED... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock