Discuss Anybody seen a fault like this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LlandrilloSpark

Evening Fella's

Bit of a strange fault, can anybody point me to the cause of it?

3 SELV downlights which I have installed in a bathroom about a year ago, fittings are JCC with sylvania 12v lamps & Halolite loop in/out tranny's, wired in 1.5mm & all three fittings spidered from a wiring centre containing the original ceiling rose connections, all the lengths of cable are the same and none are damaged and all IR test fine.

The fault is that one of the lights comes on about 3/4 of a second before the other two, which come on together, I have changed the transformer & lamp of the fitting that comes on first TWICE.

I know I'm going to have to change that leg of cable, but was wondering if anybody has seen something similar?

Or is the fault in the other two, coming on slower?

Regards

Mike

Seen that here at home a few times over the years Mike.
Ive got shed loads of 12 ltg installed.
Anyway, on each occasion it was the lamp holder letting go and eventually wont light the lamp at all.
Giveaway was that the lamp has a blackened pin and a new lamp ends up the same, needs a new holder.

Boydy

Boydy got it correct i think, sounds very much like a new lampholder - just one of them things...

was pointless me saying that but thought i had to reply + intending on hi-jacking your thread because pointless starting a new-one for a tiny question.

In middle of re-wiring a laundrette on an touring-park, and when removing the flourescent fittings, someone had connected the earths in those old fashioned twist on wire connectors if you can remember them? New colours aswell, so its obviouslly after 2006. Are they even still legal? Wouldn't even know where to get them from, i like them so not complaining its just the fact i've not come across them in years.

Boydy got it correct i think, sounds very much like a new lampholder - just one of them things...

was pointless me saying that but thought i had to reply + intending on hi-jacking your thread because pointless starting a new-one for a tiny question.

In middle of re-wiring a laundrette on an touring-park, and when removing the flourescent fittings, someone had connected the earths in those old fashioned twist on wire connectors if you can remember them? New colours aswell, so its obviouslly after 2006. Are they even still legal? Wouldn't even know where to get them from, i like them so not complaining its just the fact i've not come across them in years.

There being advertised in various electrical magazines...seems they've been re released...there 'legal' but just dont use them ha

Asif they're re-releasing them! odd little things. Can't say i'll ever use them, will stick to the standard...although the 6 i took out today i have kept in my van, im a hoarder.

yeah, screwits was the word i was looking for, couldn't think!

Evening Fella's

Bit of a strange fault, can anybody point me to the cause of it?

3 SELV downlights which I have installed in a bathroom about a year ago, fittings are JCC with sylvania 12v lamps & Halolite loop in/out tranny's, wired in 1.5mm & all three fittings spidered from a wiring centre containing the original ceiling rose connections, all the lengths of cable are the same and none are damaged and all IR test fine.

The fault is that one of the lights comes on about 3/4 of a second before the other two, which come on together, I have changed the transformer & lamp of the fitting that comes on first TWICE.

I know I'm going to have to change that leg of cable, but was wondering if anybody has seen something similar?

Or is the fault in the other two, coming on slower?

Regards

Mike

I have had this issue with different batches of transformers aswell as damaged lamp holders

Asif they're re-releasing them! odd little things. Can't say i'll ever use them, will stick to the standard...although the 6 i took out today i have kept in my van, im a hoarder.

yeah, screwits was the word i was looking for, couldn't think!

search for "Ideal twister". I've got a box of them but have to admit I haven't plucked up the courage to try them in anger. They are a little different to the ones from the good old days as they have a metal conical insert which does appear to give a pretty solid grip on the wires. From the quick play I have had with them I think I would trust them more than a choc block but that isn't saying much.....

Just used good old google to have a look.

Can't say ive ever seen them but similar to the screwits in design. You get them from your local wholesaler? If you ever give them a go, you'll have to let us know how they shape up...as you rightly said, chock block's arent that great.

Just used good old google to have a look.

Can't say ive ever seen them but similar to the screwits in design. You get them from your local wholesaler? If you ever give them a go, you'll have to let us know how they shape up...as you rightly said, chock block's arent that great.

I got them at Elex. I've used them on test pieces and they certainly appear to work. The box shows that they are made in the USA but have a label with a UK address plus a statement that they conform to BS7671 and a CE mark.

Mind you, having had them for a few months I haven't felt the need to use them as there are generally other, more proven, options.

My house was full of screwits when I moved in. They are all gone now. Actually, all the connections were sound, but why would you use them now with so many far superior options available?

I used to like the old fashioned screwit, but as kingeri said they're far more superior options available nowadays. Reason i raised it because its first time ive seen them on fairly newish wire.

Im waiting for Brman to attempt them others and give us feed-back :d get ure finger out son :p

I used to like the old fashioned screwit, but as kingeri said they're far more superior options available nowadays. Reason i raised it because its first time ive seen them on fairly newish wire.

Im waiting for Brman to attempt them others and give us feed-back :d get ure finger out son :p

You might have to wait a while ;)

Even if I used one tomorrow it would be years before I could say whether it works reliably or not. What can say is that they are quick to use and cheap so I can see why they could be popular but if I had the space I'd probably use a wago/line lever type and if I didn't have space these wouldn't fit anyway.
I'll probably find a use for them in the next 5 years or so.... :lol:

Had something similar before and turned out to be 3 of the transformers not quick enough as the other 1, replaced them all for identical, job done

Reply to Anybody seen a fault like this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net