Discuss Anyone done a 'short course' and made it work??? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

antix_v2

By that I mean, has anyone done a quick course, got some of the basic qualifications and made it out into the world into a job to get some real experience?

Most of the short course options seem to have 17th edition, 2382, maybe 2391 and 2377. No 2330 or NVQ's though...... Basic Part P ready....

This is what I'd like to do then get myself some work with someone. I'm realistic about my wage epxectations whilst I'm still a 'mate' and know that the course won't make me a 'sparky', but happy to put the graft in.....

Want to do the above then do 2330 (or the new equivalent) at night college whilst working.

So, does anyone have anything positive to say about this kind of route? Motivation starts to take a beating when the only comments on the subject are doom and gloom.

Cheers guys :D

the problem is not really down to the qualifications you hold its the experience, firms really want to employ people who can already do the job (most mates/ labourers are usually working as sparks anyway)

but if you advertised a job vacancy who would you interview, the guys with a fasttrack course or fully qualified sparks.
try for the experience then apply for mates jobs, once experienced then you could have a shot at sparks jobs.

By that I mean, has anyone done a quick course, got some of the basic qualifications and made it out into the world into a job to get some real experience?

Most of the short course options seem to have 17th edition, 2382, maybe 2391 and 2377. No 2330 or NVQ's though...... Basic Part P ready....

This is what I'd like to do then get myself some work with someone. I'm realistic about my wage epxectations whilst I'm still a 'mate' and know that the course won't make me a 'sparky', but happy to put the graft in.....

Want to do the above then do 2330 (or the new equivalent) at night college whilst working.

So, does anyone have anything positive to say about this kind of route? Motivation starts to take a beating when the only comments on the subject are doom and gloom.

Cheers guys :D

working as a mate you can earn around £10ph, thats what i earn whilst doing the college 2 nights a week.:)

Cheers guys. My plan is to get the experience and build up from there. But, I can't get anyone to take a look at me for experience until I have some basic certificates (legislation possibly more than anything), so it's a bit of a circle..... Hence, quick course, meet the minimum requirements, start from the bottom, work up....

I did one of these course about 2 years ago. Tried to get work with other companies, couldn't for love nor money. Started on my own and now can't keep up with the work, booked 3 weeks in advance most of the time and now have a joiner and plumber working for me a few days a weeks most weeks too.

You've got to be realistic about what you know and what you can do until you have the experience. I had been involved in the building trade for a while and was always a nosey bu&&er so asked loads of questions of the old hands. That's where you really learn the job, the theory will only teach you so much. PM me if you want any more info and good luck.

Reply to Anyone done a 'short course' and made it work??? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net