Discuss Anyone drive a pickup rather than a van? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
As the title, I'm thinking about changing from a Vivaro to a pickup. It wouldn't have as much carrying capacity, but that would just make me more disciplined about what ai carry. Sooo, has anyone made a similar change and if so with what result - happy, big mistake, or.....???

Is a 'pickup' an open back van sometimes with a removable fibreglass canopy?

Like this??
Anyone drive a pickup rather than a van? images - EletriciansForums.net

I've been using pick ups for 4 years. Much preferable to a van, you'll be surprised just how much you can get in the back!

Anyone drive a pickup rather than a van? ima - EletriciansForums.net

This is before my canopy was put on the back

I wasn't that happy with my navara, but was more the customer services. DO NOT get a snug top canopy

I had thought about changing, but was put off when the plumber had one and said that they suffer with moisture in the back leading to rusting issues? I was also concerned as to how safe the canopy would be in terms of security of tools etc?
I had thought about a Defender but they seem to hold their price and to get a reasonably aged one was a bucket load so opted for a van again.

Any advice?

I haven't found any downsides. My wildtrak is like 5m long and 2m wide so multi storey car parks are interesting sometimes But that's it.
I got a Pegasus canopy on my new one. Amazing! Noones breaking into that. The doors on it are the same as the cab doors. Thick and sturdy. (The snugtop was so flimsy. I opened it with a fork once when I accidentally locked keys in the back!) has "doors" on the sides too so can access stuff at the front easily without climbing through the back

Hoping the above mostly answers why not a snugtop!
Yep water was a major issue. It went back at least 10times to be refitted. I hated it from day one.
Then after 6 months the central locking on it went faulty. Had to unplug it in the end cause Nissan were rubbish. Would randomly keep unlocking itself, especially when driving over 50 or in the middle of the night
The Pegasus top I have now is completely watertight!!

Kate, why has your truck got gaffer tape all over it? There's a story isn't there.

Ohhhhh, it's brand new and it's the sticker to keep scratches away! Pardon me!

Kate, why has your truck got gaffer tape all over it? There's a story isn't there.
That pic was before I picked it up. Had just been delivered to the dealers, before they did handover checks.

I guess the double cab is handy for a family but for just a work vehicle - I don't see it! Be fun to play with though but give back at the end. I can't afford the fuel let alone the van. Sad face

I only run one vehicle, so it's the best of both worlds.
It's a 3.2l auto and it gets 28-30mpg. Have a fuel card through the business

The back looks small in the pics cause of the front. The wheel arches are 3 foot high. If that helps comparison haha

Would be just the same as all those who spend 29k on a transporter with back seats if they only have one vehicle. As polo says, keeps in mind how much you don't need in the back all the time (ie that 95 metre reel of 3 core white FP200 - must weigh a ton)

I have been toying with the idea of a pick up or car for a while now and still can't decide. I have 3 vans with mine being the newest, only got it in January but because I am doing less and less on the tools I'm starting to think it may make sense to change. The only problem I have is I like the ride height of the vivaro so don't really want a car but that said I am doing a lot of travelling to see customers for meetings and pricing so I could do with something economical.
And the final issue is I am aiming for a Range Rover in a couple of years for personal so do I just stick with the van :confused::confused:

Reply to Anyone drive a pickup rather than a van? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock