Discuss Anyone ever been asked to do a medical for a job in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jonesy83

been told ive got to have a medical for a job on a building site its only a weeks worth of work which seems daft any other building contractors making contractors do these its for a waste plant

Only time was for a permenent job working for the LU- the full works blood tests, hearing tests and sight tests. I fluffed the final interview as I was only 18 and straight out of school ( under pressure I couldn't explain how gears worked! even though I'd just cycled there!) Understanding is one thing _ explaining is another.

And the problem is???????
Let's keep drugs out of the work place. Oh and the employer should pay

I never said there was a problem its just strange they want a medical for a weeks worth of work and i wont keep drugs out of the work place ineed my caffeine and nicotine :punk:

Oh and I definitley agree with keeping drugs including alcohol out of the work place ( more of a problem now you have the 2nd or 3rd generation of eastern Europeans working on building sites these days- I've lost count of amount of vodka bottles I've seen ( Ruski Standard) in the skip!

been told ive got to have a medical for a job on a building site its only a weeks worth of work which seems daft any other building contractors making contractors do these its for a waste plant

Can’t see a problem, a free private health check and don’t forget you have the right to a copy of it. Think of it as a free MOT.

Start getting worried when they tell you to see a clinical psychologist!

In my current job I get regular hearing and lung function tests. The occupational therapist also asks about things like skin problems, other medical conditions, HAVS etc which makes it sound like they care, but if a 'real' problem were to occur i reckon I'd get a disciplinary for it.

Start getting worried when they tell you to see a clinical psychologist!

You can't let the psychopaths loose on site, can you?

I had to do a lung test at ICI about 14 years ago, just passed.
She says, a wee bit lower, you'd have to see the doctor.
Devil knows what I'd be like now...:-(

Im assuming it may show anything that may be made worse by the envioroment your working in dust ect
as for the Drug , booz thing I have never been "picked at random" but was know and have seen a few picked n failed Straight off site gross misconduct P45

Don't get caught out like I did!

The nurse said he had to check my prostate, and while he was doing it I realised both of his hands were on my shoulders!!!

Had to have a medical for several jobs and i have also been subject to random drugs tests. It seems to be the standard in most sites now. The funny thing though when my contract finished one Friday i was selected for a drugs test even though i was getting paid off an hour later......lol

If you had failed, would that have been grounds for not paying you?

Not sure about not paying for the work thats been carried out. You will find yourself kicked off site if you fail and blacklisted (although they say they dont) from the site for any future contracts which may arise

Not building jobs but have had to have medicals when gone for maintenance jobs, one I remember was for Bombardier which built and repaired trains in Crewe they could come up to you at any time and tell you to go to the medical centre for a random urine test for drugs and alcohol.

Reply to Anyone ever been asked to do a medical for a job in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net