Discuss anyone know much about coax boosters? recommendations? in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest112

hi guys just bought my new house and while im rewiring i thought id chase in some aerial points one in each bedroom (3) and one in the lounge.

currently there is a new aerial with a coax clipped down the front of the house it breaks through into the lounge and is then clipped alond the skirting to where the tv is, so not very aesthetically pleasing,

my idea is to break through into the attic to a coax booster and then have the 4 coax cables going to each location in the house chased into the walls in oval conduits,

im assuming these boosters have a very low load and am thinking of spurring off the upstairs ring to a fused spur for it in the attic (obviously accessible 132.12)

any recommendations on makes or brands or types for these boosters or is the way im assuming it works correct? any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

They work as you expect. When running the coax to the lounge, run two leads. Use one as the aerial feed, into DVD and other kit, then route back up into the loft and boost/split there. That way you can watch DVD etc (assuming it has RF out) in the other rooms.

If this is to be for HD then you should consider cat5 and baluns rather than older style coax.

What is the reception like in that area? I'd put a masthead amplifier attached to the aerial and run the drops from there. PF100 cable would do the job, or follow topquarks advise for HD.

I have just been asked to add four TV points to a system with six (rather odd ones) already so I am interested in the results here, thanks for the help.

I have been looking at the Powerlink ones from TLC but I think the masthead amp and splitter is the way to go.

great feedback cheers guys i am out of my depth tbh with this but always willing to learn is a bit of a one off for me, im not sure about signal strength tbh but all i do know is that it is a new rather large aerial recently installed and has just the one coax to the lounge, and recommendations from there would be great i really dont know about hd signals but would be good to install the best i can so thanks guys

hi guys just bought my new house and while im rewiring i thought id chase in some aerial points one in each bedroom (3) and one in the lounge.

currently there is a new aerial with a coax clipped down the front of the house it breaks through into the lounge and is then clipped alond the skirting to where the tv is, so not very aesthetically pleasing,

my idea is to break through into the attic to a coax booster and then have the 4 coax cables going to each location in the house chased into the walls in oval conduits,

im assuming these boosters have a very low load and am thinking of spurring off the upstairs ring to a fused spur for it in the attic (obviously accessible 132.12)

any recommendations on makes or brands or types for these boosters or is the way im assuming it works correct? any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Hi Peter

if easier, you could even consider spurring from a light circuit.

thanks

I have one of these in my loft with a masthead pre-amp at the top of the mast.
Works an absolute treat.....

Labgear HDU681

http://www.electriciansforums.net/Images/Products/size_3/MXHDU681.JPG

Last edited:
Why do you assume you will need an amplifier? Since switchover (assuming you are in a post switchover area) it is extremely rare to have to use an amp. Signal level is rarely an issue, signal quality is paramount.
Reading posts on this forum it is apparent that many people don't understand this so look at it this way. In the analogue days a signal level of 65(ish) dBmV was required to produce a good picture, the digital signals were roughly 20dB lower than the analogue signals and were able to be processed perfectly adequately. At switchover the output levels were increased to around the levels of the old analogue signals so even using an 8 way splitter (losses around 12dB) you still have 8dB signal more than you know the tuner needs to work WITH NO AMPLIFICATION.
You need to collect good signal (as your description of the aerial implies you have), deliver it to your distribution point as cleanly as possible by using good quality screened cable (RG6 as a minimum, CT100 ideal but expensive), split it efficiently (four way f type splitter from your description) then deliver it to the tv tuner as efficiently as possible (preferably direct into the tv but if you must use wall plates make sure the cable does not get kinked or bent which is almost impossible hence my dislike of wall plates). Simple, efficient, cheap and effective.
I have quite happily used 8 way splitters off an indoor aerial with no amplification, nowadays I rarely need to use amplifiers in fact I would say I remove unecessary amplifiers roughly in the ratio of 20:1 compared to the number of new that I supply. Obviously I have a big advantage in being able to measure the signal quality of the signals I am dealing with but the main point is is that amplification is becoming less and less necessary and I would suggest that the assumption should be that it is not required. If you have followed the above good practice and you are getting pixelation then (ideally) use a masthead amp (f type splitters have power pass legs) or a basic one way set back amp between the aerial and the splitter.
Additionally, incorrect amplification can destroy a good signal.

Why do you assume you will need an amplifier? Since switchover (assuming you are in a post switchover area) it is extremely rare to have to use an amp. Signal level is rarely an issue, signal quality is paramount.
Reading posts on this forum it is apparent that many people don't understand this so look at it this way. In the analogue days a signal level of 65(ish) dBmV was required to produce a good picture, the digital signals were roughly 20dB lower than the analogue signals and were able to be processed perfectly adequately. At switchover the output levels were increased to around the levels of the old analogue signals so even using an 8 way splitter (losses around 12dB) you still have 8dB signal more than you know the tuner needs to work WITH NO AMPLIFICATION.
You need to collect good signal (as your description of the aerial implies you have), deliver it to your distribution point as cleanly as possible by using good quality screened cable (RG6 as a minimum, CT100 ideal but expensive), split it efficiently (four way f type splitter from your description) then deliver it to the tv tuner as efficiently as possible (preferably direct into the tv but if you must use wall plates make sure the cable does not get kinked or bent which is almost impossible hence my dislike of wall plates). Simple, efficient, cheap and effective.
I have quite happily used 8 way splitters off an indoor aerial with no amplification, nowadays I rarely need to use amplifiers in fact I would say I remove unecessary amplifiers roughly in the ratio of 20:1 compared to the number of new that I supply. Obviously I have a big advantage in being able to measure the signal quality of the signals I am dealing with but the main point is is that amplification is becoming less and less necessary and I would suggest that the assumption should be that it is not required. If you have followed the above good practice and you are getting pixelation then (ideally) use a masthead amp (f type splitters have power pass legs) or a basic one way set back amp between the aerial and the splitter.
Additionally, incorrect amplification can destroy a good signal.

so best option then would be to to get a splitter first and just try my best at fitting the wall plates, yes i am in a switchover area thanks for the advice mate much appreciated

Definitely.
The number of these 'distribution' amplifiers that I throw away is unreal (as is the number of 'normal' amplifiers). Go to a new house, put the aerial in, measure the signal, look for the distribution point, see one of these brand new 'distribution' amplifiers, take it out and chuck it (assuming I have good enough signal quality). I am sure that I must have used one at sometime in the last 25 years but cannot remember when.
Standard kit that I carry for this is splitters (£2-£6), masthead amp & psu (£12) or setback amp (£9). Simple, efficient, cheap. Therefore for the sake of £25 or so of stock I can usually sort out any type of breakdown or signal problem a customer may be having.
One thing to add as you are having to do this the 'experimental' way, if you get pixellation with the splitter inline, remove it and join the aerial cable to just one leg. If you get no pixellation then you know that the splitter loss of 7.5dB (for your four way) is causing the problem therefore you need to amplify by around this figure to compensate. I would opt for a 10dB amp to account for the extra noise the amp will introduce and to keep your carrier to noise ratios above the required threshold.
Finally, if your tv has a signal strength graphic, completely ignore this as it can be very misleading, you only care about signal quality. Strength is largely irrelevant, would you rather have bucketfulls of unuseable signal or a bit of useable signal?

cheers mate i have a better understanding now, im impressed in how much you know fair play i suppose its a good thing to be a spark and know a lot about aerial installs also

Other way round actually! I am an aerial installer who is getting too old for clambering around on roofs and am only a student in the electrical industry (c&g 2330 3rd year). Luckily I am very practical, familiar with routing cables through people's property's etc, have a large customer base and have a son who is a Western Power linesman.
I find this forum an invalueable resource and am more than happy to be able to give something back rather than just take take take all the time.
Any problems just pm me and I will give you my phone number to talk you through things

ah right thats good plenty of work if you can do both fair play,

cheers mate im not rewiring the house yet but in the new year so very soon but if im stuck youll be the first to know lol have a good xmas mate

Definitely.
The number of these 'distribution' amplifiers that I throw away is unreal (as is the number of 'normal' amplifiers). Go to a new house, put the aerial in, measure the signal, look for the distribution point, see one of these brand new 'distribution' amplifiers, take it out and chuck it (assuming I have good enough signal quality). I am sure that I must have used one at sometime in the last 25 years but cannot remember when.
Standard kit that I carry for this is splitters (£2-£6), masthead amp & psu (£12) or setback amp (£9). Simple, efficient, cheap. Therefore for the sake of £25 or so of stock I can usually sort out any type of breakdown or signal problem a customer may be having.
One thing to add as you are having to do this the 'experimental' way, if you get pixellation with the splitter inline, remove it and join the aerial cable to just one leg. If you get no pixellation then you know that the splitter loss of 7.5dB (for your four way) is causing the problem therefore you need to amplify by around this figure to compensate. I would opt for a 10dB amp to account for the extra noise the amp will introduce and to keep your carrier to noise ratios above the required threshold.
Finally, if your tv has a signal strength graphic, completely ignore this as it can be very misleading, you only care about signal quality. Strength is largely irrelevant, would you rather have bucketfulls of unuseable signal or a bit of useable signal?

Thats all very good advice, but only if you have a decent quality signal without any amplification.
If the OP needs an amp then imo he should steer well clear of the "own brand" or "unheard of" equipment that will more than likely,as you said, make matters worse...

I too have been in the TV trade for abt. 45 years and have seen some utter rubish being used in the past....

I was always under the impression that if you had a decent splitter, ie evenly spread between all outputs, and the incoming signal is ok then thats all you'd require, no need for amplification

Reply to anyone know much about coax boosters? recommendations? in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net