• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Anyone know what these 3 pin sockets are? in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Reaction score
Hello all
We have moved into a 1960s house, grade 2 listed. electrical wiring modernised by previous owners. These 3 pin sockets still wired in (pic attached): they are NOT the standard 5amp as the top pin is much smaller than the bottom pin. My electrician has no idea what they are for. We would really like to use them for lighting, as per architect original plans (but does not say what type of fitting). Any info most welcome - has someone seen before and know if we can use/rewire? I have internet searched myself to distraction and even looked at online library of plugs and sockets.....! Thanks, Felicity

IMG_7894.JPG

I don't think the top pin is smaller it is just that the lower two are shrouded. Does a 5A plug fit it.

A picture of the rear of the connector/connectors would be helpful. If they're powered up, you might need your electrician to help with this.

Edit: agree, they might be 2A connectors.

Is that box a fixture or free standing , does it look like it had a specific purpose - like a transformer of some sort

To me it has the look of an old Bulgin socket for a Bulgin 2.5A plug.

If you contact Bulgin:

Circular Power Connectors - Standard Series | Bulgin - http://www.bulgin.com/products/circular-power-connectors/standard.html

using their email contact form they may be able to help. I cannot find a telephone number for you to try. Their HQ is in Cambridge so you could try directory enquiries for a number.

Here are some images of what may be the right plug:

1 x Bulgin 3 Pole Free Plug + Chassis Socket 250v AC 2.5Amp | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Bulgin-3-Pole-Free-Plug-Chassis-Socket-250v-AC-2-5Amp-/391866779046

or an older version of this plug without the shrouds:

3 POLE MINIATURE PLUG - BULGIN | CPC - http://cpc.farnell.com/bulgin/sa2403/3-pole-miniature-plug/dp/CN04059?CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-BULGIN-CN04059&gross_price=true&mckv=sh0fqHkmO_dc|pcrid|72935748377|kword||match||plid||pid|CN04059|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlobniuK71wIVSp4bCh0hWAe2EAQYAyABEgKXE_D_BwE

DO NOT USE THESE OUTLETS UNTIL YOU HAVE HAD THEM CHECKED AND TESTED BY AN ELECTRICIAN

To me it has the look of an old Bulgin socket for a Bulgin 2.5A plug.

If you contact Bulgin:

Circular Power Connectors - Standard Series | Bulgin - http://www.bulgin.com/products/circular-power-connectors/standard.html

using their email contact form they may be able to help. I cannot find a telephone number for you to try. Their HQ is in Cambridge so you could try directory enquiries for a number.

Here are some images of what may be the right plug:

1 x Bulgin 3 Pole Free Plug + Chassis Socket 250v AC 2.5Amp | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Bulgin-3-Pole-Free-Plug-Chassis-Socket-250v-AC-2-5Amp-/391866779046

or an older version of this plug without the shrouds:

3 POLE MINIATURE PLUG - BULGIN | CPC - http://cpc.farnell.com/bulgin/sa2403/3-pole-miniature-plug/dp/CN04059?CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-BULGIN-CN04059&gross_price=true&mckv=sh0fqHkmO_dc|pcrid|72935748377|kword||match||plid||pid|CN04059|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlobniuK71wIVSp4bCh0hWAe2EAQYAyABEgKXE_D_BwE

DO NOT USE THESE OUTLETS UNTIL YOU HAVE HAD THEM CHECKED AND TESTED BY AN ELECTRICIAN

Hello all
We have moved into a 1960s house, grade 2 listed. electrical wiring modernised by previous owners. These 3 pin sockets still wired in (pic attached): they are NOT the standard 5amp as the top pin is much smaller than the bottom pin. My electrician has no idea what they are for. We would really like to use them for lighting, as per architect original plans (but does not say what type of fitting). Any info most welcome - has someone seen before and know if we can use/rewire? I have internet searched myself to distraction and even looked at online library of plugs and sockets.....! Thanks, Felicity

View attachment 39300
That if my faculties are still intact, looks like a DIY attempt at a 15A socket

I would like to see in the enclosure as it looks big for the size of socket. As #8 says maybe a transformer.

Reply to Anyone know what these 3 pin sockets are? in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net