Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Anyone know what these 3 pin sockets are? in the Looking for Domestic Electricians? area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Felicity

Felicity EF Member

Hello all
    We have moved into a 1960s house, grade 2 listed. electrical wiring modernised by previous owners. These 3 pin sockets still wired in (pic attached): they are NOT the standard 5amp as the top pin is much smaller than the bottom pin. My electrician has no idea what they are for. We would really like to use them for lighting, as per architect original plans (but does not say what type of fitting). Any info most welcome - has someone seen before and know if we can use/rewire? I have internet searched myself to distraction and even looked at online library of plugs and sockets.....! Thanks, Felicity

IMG_7894.JPG

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

I don't think the top pin is smaller it is just that the lower two are shrouded. Does a 5A plug fit it.

3. Felicity

Felicity EF Member

thanks for taking the time to reply. no a 5amp plug doesnt fit: the space between the upper and lower pin is much narrower than a modern 5amp

4. westward10

They maybe a 2A as you can see from my pic they are tiny. 20171113_141434.jpg

5. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Seem to recall 2amp sockets?

Dooh :oops:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    A picture of the rear of the connector/connectors would be helpful. If they're powered up, you might need your electrician to help with this.

Edit: agree, they might be 2A connectors.

7. Felicity

Felicity EF Member

they are wired to the wall and scared of electrocuting myself so will need an electrician to take a look. the 2amp looks more like it..

8. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

Is that box a fixture or free standing , does it look like it had a specific purpose - like a transformer of some sort

9. marconi

marconi Regular EF Member

To me it has the look of an old Bulgin socket for a Bulgin 2.5A plug.

If you contact Bulgin:

Circular Power Connectors - Standard Series | Bulgin - http://www.bulgin.com/products/circular-power-connectors/standard.html

using their email contact form they may be able to help. I cannot find a telephone number for you to try. Their HQ is in Cambridge so you could try directory enquiries for a number.

Here are some images of what may be the right plug:

1 x Bulgin 3 Pole Free Plug + Chassis Socket 250v AC 2.5Amp | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Bulgin-3-Pole-Free-Plug-Chassis-Socket-250v-AC-2-5Amp-/391866779046

or an older version of this plug without the shrouds:

3 POLE MINIATURE PLUG - BULGIN | CPC - http://cpc.farnell.com/bulgin/sa2403/3-pole-miniature-plug/dp/CN04059?CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-BULGIN-CN04059&gross_price=true&mckv=sh0fqHkmO_dc|pcrid|72935748377|kword||match||plid||pid|CN04059|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlobniuK71wIVSp4bCh0hWAe2EAQYAyABEgKXE_D_BwE

DO NOT USE THESE OUTLETS UNTIL YOU HAVE HAD THEM CHECKED AND TESTED BY AN ELECTRICIAN

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Felicity

Felicity EF Member

11. Felicity

Felicity EF Member

thank you so much, that is very helpful

12. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

That if my faculties are still intact, looks like a DIY attempt at a 15A socket

13. marconi

marconi Regular EF Member

14. HandySparks

Business Name:
    If you read the thread, the holes are too close together for a 5A plug, let alone a 15A one.

• Like Like x 2
  15. HandySparks

Business Name:
    Ultimately, if the wiring is OK, you could just get the plates modified (or new plates) to accept whatever socket is required.

16. westward10

I would like to see in the enclosure as it looks big for the size of socket. As #8 says maybe a transformer.

17. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Out of interest why didn't your spark take the cover off and look inside?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    I'm going to punt on a 110V transformer ...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

I've seen similar when I used to work in servicing bays for lead lamps.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I installed those bulgin things a millennium ago Marconi. Seem to recall the earth male pin had some locating part?