Discuss Anyone receiving any email scams directed at electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've recently been receiving lots of iffy looking emails asking to send me pics of jobs that want doing. I've ignored some which are just too vague and suspicious but just replied to one which sounds more credible. Just wondering if there is a new wave of scams directed at electricians or whether I'm just getting paranoid. Anyone else getting these and has anyone been stung?

Yes, lots are getting these. Usually containing an attachment with "plans" for the job, or asking permission send plans.

An example:
41166792_10217917182428295_4319000464109600768_n.jpg

Yeh. Thats one I got, just a different name. They're scumbags aint they!
One I just replied to is below. I'll just have to be more wary from now on :(

"Hello
I would like to get a quote for a full electrical job at my property and was wondering if you would be available to replace the fuse box and maybe just check the electrics for me? I may need a few sockets installed as well and also carry out some major renovation works there.
We are looking to change and fix in new LED Lights, Storage Heaters, Lighting, Cable, Consumer Units, Sockets & Switches.
Kindly get back to me so i can send you pics of the property and see if you are available to carry out the work.
Best regards"

If anyone wants to add any new ones to this thread it might save someone from falling from it in the future?

Cybercrime is doing my head in at the moment. PC world gave away my password the other week only after I received an extortion email including my password which gives you an eek feeling! Same day I found I had been scammed on Ebay. I'm normally very acute to them but some of them are quite clever. Almost straight after the ebay scam (which was a legit email from ebay) I got another ebay email saying my account was compromised which I almost replied to... until I checked who it was from...

In fairness I find those that contact me via email or facebook, even if genuine jobs, are likely to be a waste of time. They are looking the job done for next to nothing, or the cheapest quote and getting every man and his dog to quote for it.

Quite authentic looking that one. scary

I know it’s bad though, I did have to think about replying as I don’t like to mess customers around and if I don’t want to carry out the work I politely decline the work rather than not respond.

I’m guessing it’s just spam as the title is grammatically wrong and there is no contact details or actually stating what work they are looking to have done.

My email account is with AOL and the emails are held on their server.
The emails are scanned for viruses and malicious software on their server.
Not sure that prevents any downloadable attachments from containing viruses and malicious software?

Keep on getting an advert for ERG at the top of the forum page of all places. Are they the Southend lot?
they are notable for not paying you. i had to use a debt collector to get paid for some call-outs. took 4 months.

Before I reply to it... has anyone else received this email?

Possible Scammer said:
Hello

I would like to get a quote for a full electrical job at my property and was wondering if you would be available to replace the fuse box and maybe just check the electrics for me? I may need a few sockets installed as well and also carry out some major renovation works there.

We are looking to change and fix in new LED Lights, Storage Heaters, Lighting, Cable, Consumer Units, Sockets & Switches.

Kindly get back to me so i can send you pics of the property and see if you are available to carry out the work.

Best regards

I'm dubious because the To and CC fields are blank, which suggests it was BCC'd en mass.

Reply to Anyone receiving any email scams directed at electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net