Discuss Anyone recognise this socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
It's a new safety design. If you just pull the plug out without switching off the appliance...(no switch on socket) it just flashes a warning blue flash...and falls out of the wall!WP_20180213_15_46_21_Pro[1].jpg WP_20180213_15_46_32_Pro[1].jpg

The earth is provided by a bolt through the centre of the outside part, and there is a brass bar floating between the phase and neutral, until it is tightened up by the bolt. The bolt is retained by a plastic washer which shears off easily if overtightened...result is...pull the plug out, watch the fireworks and call an electrician!
Or, buy a proper socket and fit it!

Just Googled them, they appear to be Chinese or from that area and do multiple types of sockets in a similar format.

Don't blame the Chineese for this one.
From the Simon Website , they're Spanish;

A small workshop set up in Olot (Spain) in 1916 was the start of what today, 100 years later, is the Simon Group: a family company that has grown for four generations,

They probably have the crap made in China tho'

Thank you all for your input! The electrician is coming next week, and I have told the manager here that I want bullet-proof, and not a re-hash of this cheap crap...he said "they all use this stuff" so I went to the local hardware supplier and got a nice new socket and left it to be fitted...
I won't be back for a week or two, but I will check it out carefully when I return...I have also asked for the CU (separate post) to be fully checked.

Yes, next week..and it's not hanging out now, cos I stuck it back in with Blu_Tack...it's in Spain, so not to any BS standard...and I locked the MCB with a wee bit of thin wire taken from a sobrasada, so all good!

Incidentally, it used to be a "lighting socket" which is a 2 pin jobby with a wee fuse carrier with a 1A glass fuse, used for a table lamp. That got broken by an enthusiastic Hoover-wielder, so the spark replaced it with a "proper" earthed socket...which as you can see wasn't of the best quality...odd really, to have a "lighting" socket as the cable feeding it was both heavy enough and had an earth to be used for everyday appliances...but anyway, it's an insert, and poorly made...
I did query it at first, but the spark showed me the JB and gave the screw-nut an extra tight twist, so nothing to worry about there!
I showed him a Wago but he wasn't keen...WayNot To Go, I guess...pero mi Espanol no es bueno, so I may have misinterpreted his raised finger...

Yes, I have, I taped over it and put a notice saying not to use it. However, there's no-one in the place, and the manager has the only spare key. I'll update things when I next get out there.
Makes me see how well made most of our sockets are, and what a good design too,in the main.

Reply to Anyone recognise this socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net