Discuss Anyone working on generators or motors in quarrys?? Starting new job need advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
As title suggests im starting a new job Monday gaining experience working on generators and motors in quarrys, its a week long trial with a view to giving me a 6 months to a year long placement. Im just not sure what to expect, the guy has said theyve went through 20 apprentices in recent years so im not wanting to be another one so if anyone has anything that could help please send it my way. The company rewinds motors, services them and repairs them and things like that but its the onsite stuff that Ill be doing next week and I need info on what to expect so I wont look totally lost if being asked questions. I wont be alone I will be with another qualified guy but I want a bit of a head start myself.

Thanks in advance

Tony is the man to ask questions about working in Quarries!! I think you'll find that there's a whole new ball game as in the regulations you'll be needing to know and follow too!!

Tony and myself have both served between us a considerable time in quarries. What questions do you have?

I think Ruston has also worked in quarries for quite some time, may be wrong. I just don't post as much as Tony. Haha
I just dont know what to expect when working on generators and motors out there. What instruments do you use? What kind of problems do you face? Is there any books worth reading to give me a general idea of whats going on?

Im just nervous about it as Ive never been out working at large generators, transformers or motors before. Ive wired lights and sockets before but nothing on the scale that faces me next week. To make matters worse the college tutor showed us a video of an arc flash on a busbar last night when the guy was winding in the motor?

A general idea of what I could expect would be an enormous help.

To make matters worse the college tutor showed us a video of an arc flash on a busbar last night when the guy was winding in the motor?

A general idea of what I could expect would be an enormous help.

That would have been a breaker he was winding in LOL.

Do you know the basics of how a 3 phase motor works? Or how an alternator works?

I though the idea of an apprentice was to be taught on the job?

I know the basics of how it all works im doing my HNC in electrical and mechanical engineering at the minute so that was part of the assignments. I get what an apprentice is but because the company have went through so many apprentices I want to be kept and to stand out abit more. I dont want to go into the job and be completely out of my depth as its only a week long trial to see how I get on. Plus he was making a big deal out of my age because im 31 and starting something like this now. So I need to show something worth keeping me around for.

I would say get ready to get your hands dirty and look interested. Never heard of anyone having a one week trial? I presume this is unpaid? Seems a bit odd.

I would say get ready to get your hands dirty and look interested. Never heard of anyone having a one week trial? I presume this is unpaid? Seems a bit odd.
Hes taking pity on me because im currently working for a guy and not being paid or trained properly. Ive been going to jobs and doing them on my own and not receiving any advice or guidance. The one week trial is to see if I can hack it as he said he would know within a few days whether or not I was cut out for the work or not.

Neither RoB or I can give you the full rundown on what to expect. We’ve over 50 years of blowing the country up between us. Add Rushton and it’s a wonder there’s anything left.

One thing I’ll tell you now, you will not be allowed anywhere near live MV equipment. As for that infamous video, there’s several operational errors.

If you have specific questions then PM either RoB or I.

I've work a fair few years in quarries also. Be prepared to be cold and mucky and an understanding of 3 phase motors, and pumps will help you, obviously.

Under no circumstances **** off the old boys who work there. :dead:

Jim

I've work a fair few years in quarries also. Be prepared to be cold and mucky and an understanding of 3 phase motors, and pumps will help you, obviously.

Under no circumstances **** off the old boys who work there. :dead:

Jim
I dont mind being cold and mucky and ill be keeping quiet and defo wont be annoying the old boys working there.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Good luck with your venture,i too have spent time in the quarries and if you cop it,it will not be an exploding busbar,it will be forgetting that no one can see you walking about at ground level...if your working with time served lads,listen to them,and bear in mind the 20 apprentices they have gone through might NOT be due to the work...

Good luck with your venture,i too have spent time in the quarries and if you cop it,it will not be an exploding busbar,it will be forgetting that no one can see you walking about at ground level...if your working with time served lads,listen to them,and bear in mind the 20 apprentices they have gone through might NOT be due to the work...

I’ve never killed an apprentice yet! Felt like strangling a few though.

One thing I learnt early on when working near the face on an excavator. Listen to the old quarry lads, they know how safe the face is. I’ve had to dive under the tracks when the face fell.

Like any industry you get used to the dangers, but never become complacent.

Reply to Anyone working on generators or motors in quarrys?? Starting new job need advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock