Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Apollo Injector in domestic situation in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. captaincaveman

captaincaveman Active EF Member

Hi.

Could anyone shed some light on this unit and whether it is worth scrapping please. It's in a 2 bedroom house with the tails from the meter going through it before several CCUs

part no. 56000-200.
    Input 1.2v @ 500MA
    7MW @ 117.5 KHZ NOM

Cheers

injector.jpg

2. captaincaveman

For a 2 bedroom house I personally think the owner has gone a tad too far...
    I think it's 6 or 7 consumer units (some are hidden behind woodwork)
    ccu both.jpg

3. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Sorry, I have no idea about the injector, but that is a mess of cable!

Go check the attic for cannabis plants and a few SON lamps

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Paignton pete

Paignton pete Regular EF Member

Same as above?
    What is its function?

5. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

It appears to only have tails running into it. Possibly nothing in it but a connector block?
    Sticker on lid could mean nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. captaincaveman

As much as I can see down into it, the cables just pass through the hole in it with no termination. My suspicion is it's got a paramagnetic material in it. A ferrite bead with a conductor through it is an inductor and so is used as a low pass filter. Typical use is for power cables to reduce electromagnetic interference. But don't quote me...

And yes, what a mess. I'm looking at doing an EICR which I suspect will be double the usual time it takes me.

I don't think there's a drugs issue little spark, although I could probably do with some when I tackle the job lol!

7. marconi

marconi Regular EF Member

I have a suspicion that what you are looking at is a low bit/data rate inductive coupler operating somewhere in the 3-150kHz band - 100kHz according to the markings - which enables RF communications over the mains wiring - Power Line Communication (PLC). This injector is used to connect a source of signals onto the mains wiring without galvanic connection using the physics of inductive coupling instead. At other points on the mains wiring there are similar inductive couplers to receive these signals or special adapters perhaps which plug into a socket to do the same thing and provide an output signal. What is the source of the signals I can only guess at. I would be curious to know what the black rectangular box with some white cables going in to it connects to in the home and whether there is a connection between it and the Apollo injector.

I think that the input to the Apollo is a 1.2V dc signal which powers an RF oscillator at 100kHZ. The dc input is pulsed/switched/modulated to superimpose a coded data stream faithful to the source of signals on the 100kHz RF carrier for transmission over the house mains wiring and reception by other equipments ( - I know not what).

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. captaincaveman

You are a wise man (dare I say god) Mr Marconi and indeed right! It's for a control panel timer for the 3 storage heaters & immersion. Bit over the top for my liking. I have a better picture now of all the installations glory.
    IMG_20180511_155239.jpg
    The customer wanted me to replace 3 light switches that were grouped into one triple switch. Now, apart from the mess (and I won't start to waffle on about the abnormal configurations or the pendant bases being used as junction boxes in the void above the ceiling) what I don't understand is, although each cable had cpc's, why they were all cut back and not used esp as the switches were metalic!? and why, if you look closely at pic 3, the cables curve around going up the wall? I had to be very careful with my chissle I'll tell ya! IMG_20180514_103824.jpg
    IMG_20180514_142620.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. marconi

marconi Regular EF Member

If you have the job to smarten up the jungle of cables and CUs could you provide some before and after pictures please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

It used to be a safe house for MI6/MI5........

11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    nothing is safe these days.

a propos of the news from Jerusalem.....

• Like Like x 1