Discuss Appliance wiring problem... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help.

I'm just moving a TV from one room to another. Upon looking for the plug at the back of the TV to unplug, I saw the power cable from the TV was wired into a white manual switch, which in turn was then wired into a 13A fused switch (see pics attached).

I got a bit curious as to whether the additional white switch still needed to be on there, so when I opened it up I found that it only has live and neutral terminals in it.

So, from TV we have piece of black 2 core flex (1.0mm) with a live and neutral going into the manual switch, then from that switch there is a piece of white flex taking the live and neutral from the manual switch to the 13A fused switch. However, the piece of white flex contains a CPC which is only connected in the fused switch, and not in the manual switch (as there is no terminal for it).

My question is, does this mean I have no earth to the TV if I wired it up exactly how it has been previously in the new room. Or would a better solution be to put a new fused plug on the black TV flex even though there is no CPC in that flex? Is that safe, or common practice? Seems a bit ominous to me so hoping someone can clear things up.

Thanks again, any help most appreciated.

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

Your TV is a Class II appliance, it doesn't require an Earth.
It should have this symbol on it somewhere:

prisma-tibro-class-II-pedestrian_140925-01.jpg

earth.png
From the look of the screw marks, the earth probably was never actually connected, originally.

Yes, I think you are right. So this end of the CPC was wired (or assuredly wired) into the fused switch, and at the other end (i.e., the manual switch end) the CPC was just cut off in the flex.

Is this not dangerous? Would it not have been better to cut the CPC at both ends and just not have it connected to the fused switch at all (if it's not doing anything anyway)? Therefore just having the line conductors only (from the TV flex) terminating in the fused switch?

Reply to Appliance wiring problem... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net