Discuss applying diversity in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is it not? So oven arrives complete with 13a plug top and is less than 2kw and i cant plug it into the ring main?

You will be hard pressed to plug it in to a ring main full stop. However you could plug it in to a socket one ring circuit, but that is considerably poor installation design to place such a load onto a ring, and the chances of it being less than 2kW are pretty remote considering the standard oven elements used are normally 2 - 2.4 kW.
Plus of course there is the consideration to the oven being replaced with a different unit in the future, as appliances are built with shorter and shorter lifespans these days. and less people appear to want to have them repaired, along with electricians seemingly not wanting to repair cooking appliances here days.

water pressure guv

I'm completely lost now.

You stated that the water pressure at the property is insufficient to run two showers, yet your profile location appears to be a long way from the OPs I think. So I wondered how you knew what the water pressure at his site is?
You might as well tell me that there isn't enough water pressure here to run two of those showers at once.

Anyways, i have actually given the oven its own dedicated supply so this is immaterial. I still fail to see why though, if i had known the type of oven and say it was only 2kw why it couldnt be plugged into the ring main. The ring main in question is a new circuit consisting only of 4 sockets above the worktops. Only other appliances will be kettle, microwave and toaster ( new kitchen ring is on different RCD to house ring, shocking design again there!! ). Can diversity not be applied also?

Doing a little more reading and found a rule of thumb equation to determine the maximum demand with diversity applied.

So the total value of all of the OCPD, multiplied by 0.4 seems an acceptable, as i say " rule of thumb "

So i have :-
3 x 6a circuits
3 x 32a circuits
1 x 20a circuit
1 x 16 a circuit

(6+6+6+32+32+32+20+16) x 0.4

150 x 0.4 = 60amps

As mentioned in the OP i have an 80a main fuse. The above OCPD do not include any electric shower circuits, am i right in thinking that diversity cannot be applied to showers?

Anyways, i have actually given the oven its own dedicated supply so this is immaterial. I still fail to see why though, if i had known the type of oven and say it was only 2kw why it couldnt be plugged into the ring main. The ring main in question is a new circuit consisting only of 4 sockets above the worktops. Only other appliances will be kettle, microwave and toaster ( new kitchen ring is on different RCD to house ring, shocking design again there!! ). Can diversity not be applied also?

Again, it's not a ring main, that's a distribution circuit.

It may be me being old fashioned and not keeping up with the times, but it goes against the basics as I was taught them to feed a cooking appliance via a ring circuit. A separate circuit to feed the cooking appliances is the way I would go.
A ring circuit was, and is, designed as a circuit to supply multiple socket outlets for portable appliances spread over an area. A cooking appliance is a significant load which is on for long periods of time and I feel it is similar in this respect to an immersion heater or similar and should have its own circuit wherever possible.

Reply to applying diversity in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock