Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Applying for Ecs card (help!!!) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Hamza sheikh

Hamza sheikh EF Member

I'm currently studying electrical installation level 3 and 17th edition, I've already done my level 2 and have a certificate for it. I contacted multiple companies for work experience and they'd all take me on as long as a Ecs card but as far as I can see, the only way of obtaining the card is with level 3 upwards. Is this true! Thanks for all replies!

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Hi Hamza
    Sorry I can't advise on getting the required cards for site access, as I'm retired and never really had the need for such things, you would probably get more up to date help if you were to apply for access to the trainee area, lots of trainees obviously posting in there, as you would think, as you are currently trainee I don't see a problem, I don't know how to send you the link as my system is still giving me a bit of grief, maybe best to PM one of the members of Amin, I'm sure they would be only to pleased to help, good luck with level 3 and the 17th, the later is a doddle, My Mrs could pass that, I think.

3. Hamza sheikh

Hamza sheikh EF Member

Thanks and I guess that would be a good idea haha, thanks anyway have a nice day!

4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    You to Mate good luck

5. juanmanners

juanmanners Trainee Access

Hi mate, you don't need any qualifications for the labourer card and that's all that's needed to get you onsite. Once you've got your level 3 you could upgrade to a stage 3 trainee card but you can cross that bridge when you come to it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hamza sheikh

Hamza sheikh EF Member

Will the labourer card cover me going on site and allow me to carry out electrical work? Thanks for your reply

7. juanmanners

juanmanners Trainee Access

Yep, that's all you need.

Unskilled/unqualified person employed to assist an Installation Electrician or other electrically qualified craftperson in their work activities in installing electrotechnical systems

That's the description off the ECS site

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Marti

Marti Self Starter Apprenticeship

Sat my ECS electrical labourer card about a month ago. Similar to the H&S unit you did in level 2. They will send you a legitimate set of practise questions in PDF format when you book. You get an instant pass or fail on screen.
    That's pretty much it. Oh yea. Take earplugs. Exam.room had about 40 candidates scraping chairs etc.
    Good luck.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. Hamza sheikh

Hamza sheikh EF Member

Thanks for the advice! Doesn't seem like the exam will be that hard then. Ecs card here I come lol

10. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
  11. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Is there not a trainee/apprentice card ?. Have you not contacted the ECS/JIB what have they said?.

12. Hamza sheikh

Hamza sheikh EF Member

Even the trainee card asks for level 3 nvq or equivalent and above? That's all I've seen on their website

13. anthonybragg

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    By all accounts you are trying to do the right thing in getting a card to be able to go onto a construction site and gain practical experience as the website does not account for you situation I would give them a call Monday in the past I have always found them accommodating.

14. Hamza sheikh

Hamza sheikh EF Member

Thanks I will do so! Emailed them earlier and they said we'll reply within 2 weeks which doesn't sound fun

15. anthonybragg

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Well if you call them Monday you will get it resolved sooner and be able to go on site.

16. Hamza sheikh

Hamza sheikh EF Member

Yeah I'll give them a call, thanks a lot!

17. Shane Mullan

Shane Mullan Trainee Access

How did you get on, did they budge?

18. Hamza sheikh

Hamza sheikh EF Member

I emailed them and never received a reply even though they had said 2 weeks which is long enough, I was kept on hold for ages when I called them so I forgot about it. A couple of weeks ago my college offered me the opportunity to the Ecs test in the college which I passed, its only a level 1 though.

19. Shane Mullan

Your college sounds pretty decent but the test alone isn't enough to get the card, you also have to show proof that you're employed - that's the brick wall I'm hitting

20. Hamza sheikh

Hamza sheikh EF Member

Oh I had no idea, all I've been told is that I should get the Ecs out the way so they can send me off for work experience. But then again they haven't mentioned anything about the actual card as of yet, I'll speak to them tomorrow and tell you how I get on!

21. Shane Mullan

If the college is arranging the work experience for you then you've probably got the employer box ticked on their part. I wish they did that where I'm studying