Discuss Applying for Ecs card (help!!!) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm currently studying electrical installation level 3 and 17th edition, I've already done my level 2 and have a certificate for it. I contacted multiple companies for work experience and they'd all take me on as long as a Ecs card but as far as I can see, the only way of obtaining the card is with level 3 upwards. Is this true! Thanks for all replies!

I'm currently studying electrical installation level 3 and 17th edition, I've already done my level 2 and have a certificate for it. I contacted multiple companies for work experience and they'd all take me on as long as a Ecs card but as far as I can see, the only way of obtaining the card is with level 3 upwards. Is this true! Thanks for all replies!
Hi Hamza
Sorry I can't advise on getting the required cards for site access, as I'm retired and never really had the need for such things, you would probably get more up to date help if you were to apply for access to the trainee area, lots of trainees obviously posting in there, as you would think, as you are currently trainee I don't see a problem, I don't know how to send you the link as my system is still giving me a bit of grief, maybe best to PM one of the members of Amin, I'm sure they would be only to pleased to help, good luck with level 3 and the 17th, the later is a doddle, My Mrs could pass that, I think.

Hi Hamza
Sorry I can't advise on getting the required cards for site access, as I'm retired and never really had the need for such things, you would probably get more up to date help if you were to apply for access to the trainee area, lots of trainees obviously posting in there, as you would think, as you are currently trainee I don't see a problem, I don't know how to send you the link as my system is still giving me a bit of grief, maybe best to PM one of the members of Amin, I'm sure they would be only to pleased to help, good luck with level 3 and the 17th, the later is a doddle, My Mrs could pass that, I think.
Thanks and I guess that would be a good idea haha, thanks anyway have a nice day!

Hi mate, you don't need any qualifications for the labourer card and that's all that's needed to get you onsite. Once you've got your level 3 you could upgrade to a stage 3 trainee card but you can cross that bridge when you come to it!

Hi mate, you don't need any qualifications for the labourer card and that's all that's needed to get you onsite. Once you've got your level 3 you could upgrade to a stage 3 trainee card but you can cross that bridge when you come to it!
Will the labourer card cover me going on site and allow me to carry out electrical work? Thanks for your reply

Yep, that's all you need.

Unskilled/unqualified person employed to assist an Installation Electrician or other electrically qualified craftperson in their work activities in installing electrotechnical systems

That's the description off the ECS site

Sat my ECS electrical labourer card about a month ago. Similar to the H&S unit you did in level 2. They will send you a legitimate set of practise questions in PDF format when you book. You get an instant pass or fail on screen.
That's pretty much it. Oh yea. Take earplugs. Exam.room had about 40 candidates scraping chairs etc.
Good luck.

Sat my ECS electrical labourer card about a month ago. Similar to the H&S unit you did in level 2. They will send you a legitimate set of practise questions in PDF format when you book. You get an instant pass or fail on screen.
That's pretty much it. Oh yea. Take earplugs. Exam.room had about 40 candidates scraping chairs etc.
Good luck.
Thanks for the advice! Doesn't seem like the exam will be that hard then. Ecs card here I come lol

By all accounts you are trying to do the right thing in getting a card to be able to go onto a construction site and gain practical experience as the website does not account for you situation I would give them a call Monday in the past I have always found them accommodating.

By all accounts you are trying to do the right thing in getting a card to be able to go onto a construction site and gain practical experience as the website does not account for you situation I would give them a call Monday in the past I have always found them accommodating.
Thanks I will do so! Emailed them earlier and they said we'll reply within 2 weeks which doesn't sound fun

Your college sounds pretty decent but the test alone isn't enough to get the card, you also have to show proof that you're employed - that's the brick wall I'm hitting

Oh I had no idea, all I've been told is that I should get the Ecs out the way so they can send me off for work experience. But then again they haven't mentioned anything about the actual card as of yet, I'll speak to them tomorrow and tell you how I get on!

Reply to Applying for Ecs card (help!!!) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net