Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Apprentice Electrician looking for advice in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Sam662

Sam662 Trainee Access

Hi everyone,

I'm due to start an apprenticeship (Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical systems and equipment (2357) (Buildings, Structures and the Environment) AM2)
    with a company in September and couldn't be happier, after months of searching and interviewing, the only problem is (and I'm ashamed to admit it) I've only now discovered the company just do domestic. I also wanted to do Commercial and now I don't know what to do. Is it possible to get some additional commercial work in conjunction with my apprenticeship or be able to learn commercial after my apprenticeship? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

If they have offered you an apprenticeship they are few and far between. You have some time, not a lot granted to look for alternatives but otherwise stick with it there is nothing wrong with learning the ropes with domestic it could be the bulk of your work if you decide to go self employed in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    do the apprenticeship.learn thedomestic side. get the qualification. .... then maybe branch out into the industrial side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. b-spark

b-spark Regular EF Member

Jump in and do it, you cant tell much about a company untill your in it. Find out if other employees have trained up with them, also if you can carry on training for your HNC.

Speak to your training advisor/college run the scenario with them, they are extremely keen to get you passed.
    16yrs ago, I started with 33 lads, finished with 5. Mainly because of the employers.

Just keep learning, and make sure your in management by your 30. Your knees will thank you! ;)

5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    Just keep learning, and make sure your in management by your 30. Your knees will thank you! ;)

but your fingers and your arse won't. sitting in a chair, pushing a pen and polishing your pants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. b-spark

You get that anyway if you live up north, sat in the van chumping on a Greggs sausage roll, or wrapped round a brew!! Hazard of the job. ;)

7. Sam662

Sam662 Trainee Access

Firstly thanks everyone for the responses, happy to be entering a trade with such a community. I've definitely taken on board your suggestions and will make sure to apply myself properly to my apprenticeship in the domestic setting, so it is possible to get involved in commercial after my apprenticeship?

Sorry b-spark might be a bit difficult to get in management by 30 as I'm 25 now and apprenticeship is 4 years :tongueout:

• Like Like x 1
  8. b-spark

Yeah started out like that myself more or less. Big advice would be to stay relevant, even a simple ipaf ticket would land a job. I like change I've done all sorts over the years this job enables me to do that.