Discuss Apprentice japes and responsibilities. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Didn't know exactly which area to post this, anyway here goes. I went to a get together with some colleagues the other day and we got talking about how we were treated as Apprentices, and more importantly how we, as Tradesmen treated the Apprentices we had given to us to train. I know it's different these days, Apprenticeships are hard to find, but I thought it would interesting to hear of the other older guys experiences.

I had a youngster seconded to me, not very old and very uncertain as what to expect, he was a bit distant at first and I thought, crikey I got my work cut out with this one, so after work one day, we had worked quite late, and as he was only a youngster I told him to call his parents to say he would be late coming home, his Mum was worried about what he was going to do for his tea, I told her not to worry as I would take him home and my Mrs would feed him, Bless.

My Mrs was and still is a diamond and we gave him his tea, and actually got to know him a bit better, apparently his Dad had beaten him, and the first Bloke he had worked with wasn't much better, gave him a rel hard time, a bully really, don't think this Lad knew what to make of me, I took the Mick on site but never bullied him he ended up as my Boss, and a nice bloke,tragically he died as a young man, but I was glad for the time I knew him, I think bullying has no place in any trade, treat people as you would like to be treated, and reap the benefits, I took my responsibilities as a Mentor seriously, sorry for going on a bit.

Nice story.
Work needs to be fun but it has to be fun for all. If fun is at one persons expense its not fun. its bullying.
I've been fortunate to have worked with a number of youngsters and by and large they have all been nice people and I've done my best to pass on what I can help them get along.

You sound like a top bloke Pete and its nice to know theres still good people about. I used to work in a team of six as an apprentice. There was a team leader, sub team leader and 4 apprentices, i was only a shy 18 year old when i started and didnt say much. My boss was great! he was a really good spark and was very strict and somewhat ---- about workmanship and knew a great deal. We usually worked in teams of three but sometimes we would smash 4 fixes out a day together and these were comedy gold. I was soon a bit more vocal and grew in confidence, i also found i had a terribly dark sense of humour. Our usual working day was 0600-1800 and sometimes we worked later depending on workload etc etc, my boss would keep sub-team leader for about a year and they would move on and we would move up the 'layer cake' so to speak.

I eventually became the sub team leader and had 2 apprentices that i had to teach and supervise, found it quite stressful being so young(21) and newly qualified. I didnt enjoy the sub team leader part as much as i did being an apprentice with the lads. Im still very good friends with my boss and a few of the apprentices i suffered with. I moved away and switched firms, i prefer working alone at the moment as i can concentrate more plus the new firms full of softies that cant hack a bit of banter.

All good fun if a bit OTT
I see this on FB a few weeks ago made me proper chuckle...Apparently he told the apprentice that they had to dump a body on the way in to work and he didn't question it lol :D

You sound like a top bloke Pete and its nice to know theres still good people about. I used to work in a team of six as an apprentice. There was a team leader, sub team leader and 4 apprentices, i was only a shy 18 year old when i started and didnt say much. My boss was great! he was a really good spark and was very strict and somewhat ---- about workmanship and knew a great deal. We usually worked in teams of three but sometimes we would smash 4 fixes out a day together and these were comedy gold. I was soon a bit more vocal and grew in confidence, i also found i had a terribly dark sense of humour. Our usual working day was 0600-1800 and sometimes we worked later depending on workload etc etc, my boss would keep sub-team leader for about a year and they would move on and we would move up the 'layer cake' so to speak.

I eventually became the sub team leader and had 2 apprentices that i had to teach and supervise, found it quite stressful being so young(21) and newly qualified. I didnt enjoy the sub team leader part as much as i did being an apprentice with the lads. Im still very good friends with my boss and a few of the apprentices i suffered with. I moved away and switched firms, i prefer working alone at the moment as i can concentrate more plus the new firms full of softies that cant hack a bit of banter.

That was back in the 70s mind you, things have changed, not for the better I'm afraid, and the Lad was only 15 and a half going on 16

Reply to Apprentice japes and responsibilities. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net