Discuss Apprentices in the old days in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ever knocked a box of small bits and bobs over, and wondered how long it would take to pick em all up?
I did yesterday, and it took me back to when I was a mere 17 year old.
The bloke I worked with always had 2 gas mask bags one for his tools and one for his bits and bobs, which consisted of ever conceivable, screw, nut, bolt and anything else you may need, and as I was the lad, it was my job to search through this bag to find what he needed, it was a bugger of a job, and I hated it, no Screwfix in those days, "Go and find 12 3/4" black japanned screws, imagine today's Apprentices doing that, more likely to be told to go and see Abdul the Taxidermist.
I don't have any Videos to show what I mean, that will please some members I'm sure.

i have similar in tins. generally tip out on dust sheet, find what i want, then pick up sheet and tip rest back into the kennel, ready for next time.

It's strange how my screw/nut/washer etc. tin seems to be inexhaustible. I can't remember ever not being able to find what I need in there!

My dad & grandad used to have loads of tobacco tins in the garage that they stored nuts, bolts, nails etc. None were labelled. Right pain when you had to look for something specific. Even now I have multiple tool boxes but can ever remember what’s in what!

My dad & grandad used to have loads of tobacco tins in the garage that they stored nuts, bolts, nails etc. None were labelled. Right pain when you had to look for something specific. Even now I have multiple tool boxes but can ever remember what’s in what!
Lol, I still have my Dad's, here are some of them still have about 10 others can't part with them as he died in 76 when I was 12.

IMG_1721.jpg

Ever knocked a box of small bits and bobs over, and wondered how long it would take to pick em all up?
I did yesterday, and it took me back to when I was a mere 17 year old.
The bloke I worked with always had 2 gas mask bags one for his tools and one for his bits and bobs, which consisted of ever conceivable, screw, nut, bolt and anything else you may need, and as I was the lad, it was my job to search through this bag to find what he needed, it was a bugger of a job, and I hated it, no Screwfix in those days, "Go and find 12 3/4" black japanned screws, imagine today's Apprentices doing that, more likely to be told to go and see Abdul the Taxidermist.
I don't have any Videos to show what I mean, that will please some members I'm sure.
Clumsy git

Cheap Jeremy Kyle cider
Oh right Ta So it's cardboard city Cotes Du Rhone then? only cheaper, is that right? rots yer guts, kills God knows how many brain cell per bottle, all in all quite a bit like Cotes Du Rhone in that respect. Still wine from a glass is better than sucking apple juice from a shared bottle any day, mind you I suppose after the first flagon you don't give a Shi'ite anyway

just done a couple of bottles of nice cider from lidl. 7.3%. it's called Woodgate Vintage Cider. not all gas like some.

Still happens Pete, my tradesman Jimmy now retired had a black pale for all the bits and bobs, used to dread when he asked you to look for a specific nut, bolt, screw or washer. If you came back and said you couldn't find it, he'd tell you get the dust sheet and tip it out!

It's still in the van and when all else fails try Jimmys Pale and it usually comes up with the goods! Trouble is nobody re stockes the pale!

Still happens Pete, my tradesman Jimmy now retired had a black pale for all the bits and bobs, used to dread when he asked you to look for a specific nut, bolt, screw or washer. If you came back and said you couldn't find it, he'd tell you get the dust sheet and tip it out!

It's still in the van and when all else fails try Jimmys Pale and it usually comes up with the goods! Trouble is nobody re stockes the pale!
I worked with one bloke, he was real old school boiler suit, open the navel, smoke some foul smelling stuff in his pipe.
Every time we went on a new job he would tell me to collect all the old screws, chuck all the old gear in his bits bag, and salvage what you can, this was my job, and look out if you fooked up.

Didn't realise how popular these things are. I have a little bag clipped to my took bag and I've named it my lucky bag. It's been a God send on many occasions. No better feeling when you find the bit your looking for in there

Reply to Apprentices in the old days in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net