Discuss Apprentices working alone in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tommythain

Need some help on this one? What are the rights and wrongs of sending apprentices to jobs on their own. Is it legal, seeing as how they should not be regarded as competent yet, even though many of them are?

It may be seen as 'wrong' in the eyes of some but IMO it's all part of the learning curve. Being sent or left on a small job after year 1 say, boosts confidence in one's own ability which can only be a good thing.

I'm not saying you can do it everywhere, sites are usually a no no but small domestics are generally ok.

Obviously you dont let them run before they can walk, but it never did me any harm.

Last edited by a moderator:
well legally there is no need for qualifications just competence so providing as his boss if you deem him competent than cant see a problem until something goes wrong and he stands up in court and says "but im only a little aprentice"

I leave mine to work on his own whilst I pop to the wholesalers etc, but he knows the lines.
He doesn't power up stuff until we have tested and checked it and he is sensible enough to call is he has a question or leave things until I return

The bottom line is that you (as a tradesperson) carry the can, so it's upto you to make sure you aren't going to get bitten in the bum if things go pear shaped

I leave mine to work on his own whilst I pop to the wholesalers etc, but he knows the lines.
He doesn't power up stuff until we have tested and checked it and he is sensible enough to call is he has a question or leave things until I return

The bottom line is that you (as a tradesperson) carry the can, so it's upto you to make sure you aren't going to get bitten in the bum if things go pear shaped

I've done the same this past week, give him a small install project on a domestic house rewire (all dead so no danger) and check everything afterwards. A good way of learning imo.

I think it depends on the apprentice as an individual, if they are competent to carry out the work required then why not? Certainly after they have completed there 2nd year you know whether they are showing initiative and wanting to be one of the best or whether they are just there for a wage at the end of the week. Personally I know apprentices who are in there 3rd and 4th year who are more technical and produce better work standards than approved electricians in there 50s who have just gone through life not willing to put in the extra effort to learn or be better just as long as they have a job.

Cheers

It may be seen as 'wrong' in the eyes of some but IMO it's all part of the learning curve. Being sent or left on a small job after year 1 say, boosts confidence in one's own ability which can only be a good thing.

I'm not saying you can do it everywhere, sites are usually a no no but small domestics are generally ok.

Obviously you dont let them run before they can walk, but it never did me any harm.
100% correct Lenny. Wrapping us up in cotton wool IS NOT THE WAY! Yes...by all means get used to the apprentices abilities first (and let the apprentice find their own level after year 1) but certainly after year 1 its time to start pushing on a bit. My boss has me doing periodics and stuff and I been with him for just on a year now....it aint rocket science but its the ONLY way to learn....both by example and hands on. This is the problem with fast track courses ...they just dont offer the same package as the traditional avenues.........

You are correct Lenny I went on a Job at the start of my third year my gaffer was saying right son you isolate this and strip it all out I said ok I have done this before when is my trademan coming on the job and who is it he said there is no tradesman you are doing it and at the time I thought he was dumping me right in it but years later I asked him why he did it and he said listen some guys serve 4-5 years and they cannot do a job without being told what to do but you showed initiative and you did not let me down and I made a good call even more so today as you have not stood still so the answer Tommytain are you ready for this or do you want to hide behind "but I am just the laddie" life does not say there you go you get 4 years to learn then magically you are an independant tradesman. If you are not ready then tell the gaffer but do not look for excuses as the world is full of people who could have or should have ....................................

Looking back my old gaffer was a clever old git but I never realised it until much later I just thought he was an old B£$"!^d who dumped me in it funny old world.

Reply to Apprentices working alone in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net