Discuss Apprenticeshipsxxxxxxxxxxxx in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As the title suggests, what constitutes an Electrical Apprenticeship in this modern world we live in today?
There have been a few threads lately "Ive done this course or that course, how do I get an Apprenticeship?"
Well to be honest with you I would like to know, not because I want one at 71 and fter more years than I want to remember after completing mine, I would like to know, to be able to offer some advice to the Lads and Lasses who are aspiring to become Electricians, not Domestic Installers, but real Electricians, I would like to help people, but when you are faced with people in their 20s 30s asking about Apprenticeships, it seems alien to to me, maybe I should give up, cus it's baffeling how to answer.

agree pete. so many courses nowadays and it don't help when they change all the numbers. e.g. 2391 becomes 2394/5 then 2391 again.bit like roulette. pick a number and hope it's a winner.

I guess carrying out an apprenticeship was deemed as something you did when you left school, obviously it’s a way of learning while working in the given trade, regardless of age. The bad thing is with starting later, is the wage. £150 a week went a long way living with parents and to only run a mo-ped!
I guess the only other way is becoming an improver and picking up a few courses.

I’m time served and started my apprenticeship at 16. I’m now 27. Been in the trade all my working life. I found a large commercial company to sponser my apprenticeship and the rest is history!

My apprenticeship was what they called then a labourer where mixing up for a gang 6 plasterers 5 days a week sometimes 10hr days. Was the hardest yrs work I've ever done.
Nt really an Apprenticeship Massive1

My son is doing an apprenticeship with me as previously mentioned on here. It's 42 months/3 and a half years now, 4 days a week working with me and 1 day a week at college ['Day Release']. The final qualification on completion I believe is a level 3 NVQ, lots of tests along the way and compilation of a portfolio demonstrating evidence [photos, write ups] of different types of work carried out. There's a fair emphasis on H&S as you'd expect nowadays.

I did mine like Dave OCD son is doing, day release 1 day per week term time (that was 30 years ago as a "yts" apprentice)
I hope that's how apprenticeship are done still (anyone can get a qualification/pass a course but on the job training i feel is the experience that really makes the tradesman

I left school and went straight out working for a company 25 miles from my house. Cost me more to get to work than i earned every week £40, and this was in 2008) and to be honest I hated most of it but it was worth sticking out even through the days were I was stuck in the attic of a hospital surrounded by nothing but fibreglass insulation and try to to hear what orders were being barked at me from the all knowing sparks down below

I left school and went straight out working for a company 25 miles from my house. Cost me more to get to work than i earned every week £40, and this was in 2008) and to be honest I hated most of it but it was worth sticking out even through the days were I was stuck in the attic of a hospital surrounded by nothing but fibreglass insulation and try to to hear what orders were being barked at me from the all knowing sparks down below
That reminds me of my house bashing days when I had to go in the loft, an earth rod would be poked up the hole where the light was and this saved having to disturb the fibre glass. You you soon learnt not to stand over the light!:eek:

I understand how Pete feels,when folk are lets say mature learners.I started at 15 as Saturday boy,school holidays etc, then left school at 16 started the full apprenticeship.

But moving on many decades lol , just completed my gas safe at the age of 53. This is the new world/way. Lets face it we all got to work till we drop, so age don't really matter.

As far as I know nowadays it's all based on the NVQ system. When I left school in 98 I was lucky enough to move straight into a "modern apprenticeship" this constituted of...
1st year full time college sitting NVQ in basic engineering principles. Also 1st year of City + Guilds 2360. This is where you were taught all the basic stuff needed to be a spark. Including conduit bending "sets" and threading as Fredo mentioned earlier.
2nd year was day release sitting C+G 2360 part 2 (1 day a week at college + 4 on job training).
3rd year was again day release where we had options. We had to sit BS7671 and could also do the "C course" this was the follow on to 2360, but a lot harder.
4th year was mainly working on your "portfolio" in preparation for final assessment by the NVQ apprenticeship assessor. You could also attend C+G 2391 in 4th year. The portfolio, final assessment and completion of all the courses gained you the full apprenticeship. It was a while ago now, but that's roughly how I remember it. I do believe this is still the best way to get a broad range of skills to set you up in the trade. I would be really interested to see how it's done in 2017.

For me, it was always my vocation of what I wanted to do before I left school. I am interested to hear what has made many (as posted on here) go into the industry later on in life. I also feel sorry for a lot of these lads nowadays just used as cheap labour and don't get fully mentored now you could argue the rights and wrongs of it.

I put myself through college on a evening course for four years (C&G L2&3) I have to wait for the 18th edition to come out before I can do my reg's course and then inspection and testing and then NVQ 3.
I have been lucky enough to be working in the trade for the passed 6 years gaining valuable experience. I'm lucky enough to have a boss who is willing to teach me and help me as much as he can. Not an apprenticeship I know.
I'm now 35 and have 3 kids so I couldn't afford to do an apprenticeship as I hAve a family to provide for so this was my only option to become an electrician. I would like to go down the industrial path so any advice on which courses would help with this would be much appreciated

For me, it was always my vocation of what I wanted to do before I left school. I am interested to hear what has made many (as posted on here) go into the industry later on in life. I also feel sorry for a lot of these lads nowadays just used as cheap labour and don't get fully mentored now you could argue the rights and wrongs of it.

Good question Anthony for me it's something I've always been interested in but when I was 20 took up another trade at the time & decided now in later life I'll give my self a chance on trying to become an electrician.

Will I succeed I'm not sure 50/50, or maybe 30/70 not in my favour I really don't know, will I be gutted if I don't, no not at all.

Unfortunately there are still many electricians about who are unwilling to accept someone calling them self an electrician unless they're time served apprentices but in later life getting an apprenticeship is a non-runner so many do have to take different routes yet they're squirmed upon like "how dare you go down this route, " or if you haven't biked 10 mile everyday to work under another electrician for £50 a week you're throwned upon" or if you just want to be a Domestic Installer then straight away ( you're not a proper electrician) & immediately downgraded.

How many electricians can we safely say who have families to feed, rent & bills to be paid who can honestly say they they'd take on someone & train them up while most probably earning a lot less due to watching over them, I doubt you'd get many rushing to the front of the queue signing up.

The new standards (apprenticeship) for the installation electrician is the Level 3 Electrotechnical qualification (installation) or
(maintenance) (5357-03).

It consists of 3 - 31/2 years at college doing the technical units and portfolio units. Once these have been signed off, the apprentice must pass the AM2. There are a lot of practical exams in the technical units, including 4 different types of safe isolation, a 10 hour build/installation to name a few. The portfolio has 6 units to complete and all but three of them have to be done on at least two separate occasions.

For the portfolio, the apprentice will have to install 4 different cable types from a list of 8 and install 4 different containment types from a list of 10. They will also have to terminate 4 different cable types and install and terminate at least 5 accessories from a list of 11.

There is also the inspection & testing unit and fault diagnosis and rectification units to complete.

There are 126 criteria altogether in the portfolio, so these are just a few of them.

Hope this makes sense?

Jay

Reply to Apprenticeshipsxxxxxxxxxxxx in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock