Discuss Approaching the end of highschool - should I become an electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I would agree with @Leesparkykent 100%,

I’m in Northern Ireland and had x3 level 2 apprentices this year who got £40 a week from college plus travel money, 3 days with me and 2 days in college.

They do that for 2 years then move to level 3 for 2 years where I pay them.

The first one knew more than me and had an attitude that basically was he wasn’t going to break a sweat for £40 a week.

The next gave up once he came with me and actually seen what it was like on the job.

The third didn’t like it, and said I was good to him or he’d have been away within the first month if I’d been nasty with him.

The last 2 still hadn’t placements by the end of November, and there aren’t big numbers.

I’m considering to try and find an apprentice this year again, however I’m going to put a to the point, direct and blunt post up on the local mums group to see if anyone’s son is looking to be an electrician and would like to give it a try for a couple of weeks with possibility of getting a placement with me. No mummy’s boys or zero common sense and ability to think for themselves kids.

I’d also say that Electrical is probably the hardest trade to qualify at, and even harder to be good at multiple areas.

As Lee said, the money isn’t great, despite the idea that others think, yes some guys I know have nice houses and nice cars that give the appearance of wealth, but what folks don’t see is that his Mrs works a great job and they’ve no kids and don’t drink or smoke. Oh and then there’s the regular 7 days a week and late nights.

Oh and we definitely get the short end of the stick, other trades think we can rewire a kitchen in a couple of hours, if there’s any issues on sites it’s always the electricians fault, I like doing the work, and the variety that being self employed allows you to do, and you make a reasonable wage. But you’d make more money being a toilet repairman lol

I’ll summarise and say unless you really want to do electrics and want to learn and always learn and improve as well as have the work ethic and practical ability then you be best to consider an alternative career path.

If you do decide to become an electrician then choose a firm for placement that covers a broad variety of areas of electrical, going to a firm that just does maintenance or just does new houses severely limits your potential.

All the best whatever you decide.
Funny you should say that I've heard my boss saying they've been coming to him from Belfast met and SERC trying to get them jobs. We've had 3 since January, 1 turned in 2 days in his first 2 weeks, 1 sighed and grunted about having to get out of the van and the other asked what time he was getting home at at 8 o'clock every morning. Strangely enough none lasted long, make you wonder why they are even in the course if they don't want to work

Funny you should say that I've heard my boss saying they've been coming to him from Belfast met and SERC trying to get them jobs. We've had 3 since January, 1 turned in 2 days in his first 2 weeks, 1 sighed and grunted about having to get out of the van and the other asked what time he was getting home at at 8 o'clock every morning. Strangely enough none lasted long, make you wonder why they are even in the course if they don't want to work

It’s unbelievable the way some of them are, and the good kids are not cut out for it. The last one I had couldn’t wire a click flow connector to any acceptable standard after 7 months of college and 4 with me, no matter how many times he was shown he just didn’t get it. But a decent wee lad.

It’s unbelievable the way some of them are, and the good kids are not cut out for it. The last one I had couldn’t wire a click flow connector to any acceptable standard after 7 months of college and 4 with me, no matter how many times he was shown he just didn’t get it. But a decent wee lad.
Yeah your right we had one guy for a year and a half who was hard working, early every day and was willing to learn but just couldn't get it. Looked really awkward holding tools and just couldn't get a grip of hands on work so he packed it in for a call centre in the end. From what I can gather the numbers aren't very good at the minute so they are only running the course on 1 site in Belfast this year

I have left another trade to hopefully become an electrician, not because of the money because the money was good but if some school leaver said to me he wanted to get in to fixing shaftwall, gypframe etc I would say on your bike its hideous after a while.

I think its the same with any trade you have been in so long you tend to stare other people away as you know the trade so well.

It's all well and good to say there are easier ways to earn money but personally if any young person has their mind set on going into a trade I wouldn't try and deter them. Just go for it. I know 21 year olds who are earning over £20 an hour on site (London) - even if they decide they want to do something else they're still at an age where they can and always have something to fall back on - not to mention in a position where they can fund it. I'm not saying it's any guarentee you are going to be regularly earning £20 an hour in your early 20s (or at any age for that matter), but if you can obtain your gold card at a young age you will be in a very good position.

And no disrespect to the guy saying "get out and enjoy being young", but you'll enjoy yourself a lot more if you're doing something with your life and earning money.

EDIT: It goes without saying that if you're in a position where you feel you can go down the route of becoming a lawyer or a dentist them you should probably go for that, but those doors aren't open for everyone.

Yalcoung,listen carefully,I shall say this only once:)

I have been an electrician for over 50 years and still performing
I have performed over a wide and varied spectrum of the trade
It used to No 1 in the trades pecking order,however,electricians are no longer the respected trade it once enjoyed:(

All I can say is that I hated every minute of that time.its a boring, low paid,under appreciated occupation that requires study and continual learning, it also has paperwork with needless administrative nonsense that numbs your mind:eek:

Any youngster contemplating the occupation need to have their brain reprogrammed :confused:

By the way Electricians are also big story tellers,they tend to lie through the teeth about the job that gave them security,decent wages,interesting work and a occupation they love and maybe never wanted to change :)

Don’t post often but I would say go for it
Great oppunities are coming up with smart house electric vechicles etc
I’ve been a sparks for over 30 years and loved (almost) all of it
I have worked in or sorts of different environments from stately homes to prisons
I still think sparks are no. 1 trade on site and other trades look up to you for your knowledge levels
Money wise always depends on how hard you want work
The guys I hear moaning about not earning much on site normally leave at 4pm
Any way that’s my opinion
Good luck with what ever you decide

Don’t post often but I would say go for it
Great oppunities are coming up with smart house electric vechicles etc
I’ve been a sparks for over 30 years and loved (almost) all of it
I have worked in or sorts of different environments from stately homes to prisons
I still think sparks are no. 1 trade on site and other trades look up to you for your knowledge levels
Money wise always depends on how hard you want work
The guys I hear moaning about not earning much on site normally leave at 4pm
Any way that’s my opinion
Good luck with what ever you decide

[QUOTE=" The last one I had couldn’t wire a click flow connector to any acceptable standard after 7 months of college and 4 with me, no matter how many times he was shown he just didn’t get it. But a decent wee lad.[/QUOTE]

They are pretty $hitty connectors mind never enough room.

Long story short, I've decided that Uni probably isn't for me so I've taken this time to look at an alternative. I looked into the trades and the two things that really caught my eye were Electrician and Underwater Welding/Construction. I didn't take physics due to having a bad experience in S3, however, I have always been really into building and modifying things like quadcopters, computers etc. Frankly, I think the things that worries me the most is being somewhat financially insecure in later life for one reason or another. I'm 16 by the way. Would anyone be able to give me some advice regarding this career path? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section, didn't really know what else this fits into.

Any advice is appreciated!
yalcoung
There are Apprenticeships, some good some not so good. When I worked for FCOServices in Milton keynes, the Technical branch of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the started running Apprenticeships for Electricians, this was near the end of my career.

I got to know several of the youngsters, and all of them were very pleased with how these Schemes were organised, blocke release couple with work experience, some of which was working on overseas projects, one Lad in particular, I was actually one of his mentors, has proved to me that a well organised and structured Apprenticeship can work, his career has now progressed into, being posted overseas for 2 or 3 years at a time, with his Family, I like to think I had some input into how well he has progressed.

The Salary is commensurate with private industry, and the rewards later are very good.

It's been a while since I retired, so I'm not sure, if they still run these Apprentice Schemes, they were very successful at the time, so I should think they are still active,

The Apprenticeships started in September, so you would still have time to apply I should think, if you Google FCOS Apprenticeships, or jobs with FCOServices you should be able to find out more information, well worth a try if you have your mind set on an Electricians role, good luck.

Long story short, I've decided that Uni probably isn't for me so I've taken this time to look at an alternative. I looked into the trades and the two things that really caught my eye were Electrician and Underwater Welding/Construction. I didn't take physics due to having a bad experience in S3, however, I have always been really into building and modifying things like quadcopters, computers etc. Frankly, I think the things that worries me the most is being somewhat financially insecure in later life for one reason or another. I'm 16 by the way. Would anyone be able to give me some advice regarding this career path? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section, didn't really know what else this fits into.

Any advice is appreciated!
yalcoung[/QUOTE
Deleted double post

[QUOTE=" The last one I had couldn’t wire a click flow connector to any acceptable standard after 7 months of college and 4 with me, no matter how many times he was shown he just didn’t get it. But a decent wee lad.

They are pretty $hitty connectors mind never enough room.[/QUOTE]

There was 1x 1mm2 3core flex in each plug. I’d equate that to being simpler than doing a 13amp plug tbh

Reply to Approaching the end of highschool - should I become an electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock