Discuss Approved Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Toneyz

I have been asked via a PM jobs advertised for a approved electrician I believe its a term that was used years ago referring to electricians that had some experience behind them, may be some of you could explain better than me and what it means when advertised for today.

Used to be over 25 with C&G B certificate I think, was a while ago the C cert gave you Technician, again I think that was how it was. Now I think what you mean is an Approved contractor, what that means well your guess is as good as mine, something to do with scams I believe. But what do I know? I'm retired so to some my input don't matter. You know who you are.

JIB Grading - https://www.ecscard.org.uk/jib-grading.aspx

Approved Grade
The Approved Grade shows the cardholder has achieved the Core Grade and, after at least two years’ experience, has taken up additional responsibilities as required by the Approved Grade recognition.

There is additional training required to progress to the Approved Grade. Depending on the Core Grade, this is usually a qualification in Initial Verification and Periodic Inspection & Testing. Qualifications are dependent on the duties of the job role that the Approved Grade requires.

To achieve the approved grade you need to have the standard electricians qualifications plus a 17th edition qualification and testing and inspection covering initial verification and periodic testing

Used to be over 25 with C&G B certificate I think, was a while ago the C cert gave you Technician, again I think that was how it was. Now I think what you mean is an Approved contractor, what that means well your guess is as good as mine, something to do with scams I believe. But what do I know? I'm retired so to some my input don't matter. You know who you are.
Nothing to do with scams pete unless you also consider the JIB a scam as well?
(Many do by the way)

Used to be over 25 with C&G B certificate I think, was a while ago the C cert gave you Technician, again I think that was how it was. Now I think what you mean is an Approved contractor, what that means well your guess is as good as mine, something to do with scams I believe.
Thanks Pete I think you were on the right track of an explanation in your first part of reply I am not referring to the NICEIC Approved contractors scheme.

I think the OP is on about "approved contractor" which is scam based isn't it?
It's a JIB grade and nothing to do with a scheme.
Think it only really works if you are employed by a JIB firm as the pay is slightly higher than a standard 'electricians ' grade.

The J.I.B approved card is only really relative if you are a sub-contractor or working for
an agency,because it is tied in with construction health and safety (CSCS).
Very rarely will a direct employer ask if you have it because they are responsible for
ensuring you have H&S training . Agencies on the other hand will always insist that you are an approved electrician , mainly to cover their own arse, although they understand very little
about it themselves other than it lets them off the hook in the event of something going wrong..
I have to say that in my opinion Pete was entirely correct when he said it was a scam !

i

I've had 1 quote turned down as I wasn't an approved electrican. When I got back in touch with the customer and asked what do they mean (I thought JIB) they told me I must be registered Approved as that's that's what they had been told was required... I had my scheme call them up (stroma) and explain that approved was a term used by another scheme.

I got the work and continue to regularly.

Reply to Approved Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net