Discuss Are emergency lights required in this situation??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

Attending a job the other day in a shop. The shop is 20m long and 10m wide. There is an office/store/kitchen at the back leading to a communal store and passageway for four shops. Each unit locks its own door to this communal area.
The fire officer has told the owner there is no need for any exit lights at the back or front. I was somewhat surprised at this. Is there a need or is it too small to need emergency lights? I know I plan to go on a course at the end of the month and should have the definitive answer to this but in the meanwhile...

Is there any fire fighting equipment.

I have done on a few occasions, never assume these people know the correct information.
I'm thinking it could be more a situation of the owner trying to pinch pennies, then if it hits the fan they turn round and say they thought that's what he was saying.
Maybe worth getting something in writing or hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.

Did the fire officer bod put this in writing and do they have a fra.

I'm kind of surprised none is needed. I am not that au fait with the relevant regs by any stretch. But the fact there are four units all opening onto a communal passage could mean a fair number of the public could be in the various units at the time of a power cut.
I recently fitted approx 6 ELs and signage in a smaller unit consisting of five rooms and two escape routes. This was at the request of the fire officer.

I'm kind of surprised none is needed. I am not that au fait with the relevant regs by any stretch. But the fact there are four units all opening onto a communal passage could mean a fair number of the public could be in the various units at the time of a power cut.
I recently fitted approx 6 ELs and signage in a smaller unit consisting of five rooms and two escape routes. This was at the request of the fire officer.

Reply to Are emergency lights required in this situation??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock