Discuss Are emergency lights required in this situation??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If I'm reading it right - if there are lights provided, then emergency lighting is required (?).

View attachment 42389
Essentially yes. It references escape routes but that would cover a lot of floor area especially a shop because the sales area could be deemed one big escape route.

Hard to argue with the fire officer, he is God, but there is no reason why you cannot try to talk the customer into a couple of exit boxes if you feel it is the thing to do, providing you have the fire officers opinion in writing your covered in the event of a fire.

I have had debates with a fair few fire officers, describing them as Gods is stretching the imagination. Exit box luminares are not generally deemed to provide adequate illumination as they are essentially illuminated signs.

Well some maybe right prats but they have the final say on fire related issues in buildings so they are god, even if in reality they are buffoons.

Winter time when it gets dark before the shop closes?

Then that will be covered under the FRA.....
Read Article 14 (2) of the RRFSO 2005.

Nowhere has the Op mentioned emergency exits or routes??
I have had debates with a fair few fire officers, describing them as Gods is stretching the imagination. Exit box luminares are not generally deemed to provide adequate illumination as they are essentially illuminated signs.

They are illuminated signs. There is no debate about there lack of suitability for general emergency lighting.

Then that will be covered under the FRA.....

Nowhere has the Op mentioned emergency exits or routes??

They are illuminated signs. There is no debate about there lack of suitability for general emergency lighting.
You seem to disagree with me a lot which is fine. FRAs are something I do on a frequent basis so can you back up your issues with what I am saying because I think you are disagreeing just for the fun of it.

You seem to disagree with me a lot which is fine. FRAs are something I do on a frequent basis so can you back up your issues with what I am saying because I think you are disagreeing just for the fun of it.

No need to flatter yourself. I really hadn’t noticed anything particulerly about you. Apologies.

My issues with what you are saying in this thread is that you seem to be guessing and applying assumptions based on no information whatsoever.

This is why my post was vague. You are bringing in points based on emergency exit routes and emergency exit signage when nobody has issued this information other than you. But you are not the op.

The answer, given the information, can only be whatever the FRA says is required. The op has not carried out the FRA and has not indicated whether he is either competent or insured to carry them out. Regardless of all this it is simply not his job to worry about it.

Reply to Are emergency lights required in this situation??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net