Discuss Are mains sockets permitted in bathrooms? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pity!
As I said above. You cannot leave live cables in the wall and just plaster over them, unless they are at least 50mm from the surface.

So you have two obvious options
1. Rewire the socket so there are no cables in the wall. This may be tough as the cables come from two directions, but there may be a service duct in a corner, or other routes that the cables could take. You'll obviously need to find a location for a junction, or two.
2. Connect the conductors together, in the existing back box, using some insulated terminal block, or Wago-type connector.
Then put a blank plate over the back box, but on top of your new plasterboard so it can be seen.

Sounds like it's an upstairs RFC feeding sockets below and a single T&E drop.

Not a 70's built house by any chance?

Pity!
As I said above. You cannot leave live cables in the wall and just plaster over them, unless they are at least 50mm from the surface.

So you have two obvious options
1. Rewire the socket so there are no cables in the wall. This may be tough as the cables come from two directions, but there may be a service duct in a corner, or other routes that the cables could take. You'll obviously need to find a location for a junction, or two.
2. Connect the conductors together, in the existing back box, using some insulated terminal block, or Wago-type connector.
Then put a blank plate over the back box, but on top of your new plasterboard so it can be seen.
Yes, that's the route I'll take terminal block with a wall plate.

Yes, that's the route I'll take terminal block with a wall plate.
Use Wago or similar, not those horrible choc block things...

This may look expensive on the face of it however they will cover most options in your house and are rated for up to 32 amps: https://www.screwflix..com/p/wago-lever-connector-set-32a-85-pieces/2305r

Erm...what sauce would you like on your hat, MDJ?
I installed a new loo and got a Building Warrant and Completion Certificate for that.
The lady from BC who inspected it was in the house less than 1 minute, said "Nice shower!" and left!

'Thank you for your quick reply. The socket is too close to zone 1. Behind the socket three cables converge, bearing in mind that I am replacing the plasterboard in that area what is the best method of connect the cables together?'

Either use the existing back box, suitable connectors and a front plate or a suitable maintenance free junction box. Any further information, would be a step by step guide, which is against forum rules.

I'd consider employing a competent electrician. Such work could be notifiable to local building control.
You can build a cupboard around the socket

This may look expensive on the face of it however they will cover most options in your house and are rated for up to 32 amps: https://www.screwflix..com/p/wago-lever-connector-set-32a-85-pieces/2305r
Thanks for the suggestion, I've ordered a box they're just what I need.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've ordered a box they're just what I need.

is there anything behind the wall? can you put the socket on the other side in the hallway?
There's a double socket in the next room at the same height and distance in so I'll have to have a look and see if there connected in some way.

Some places find that sockets in the bathroom are the way to go...
Are mains sockets permitted in bathrooms? WP_20180824_08_11_04_Pro - EletriciansForums.net
Obviously the low level socket is nearly 15cm from the edge of the wash basin, ideal for my straighteners, and the higher level hairdryer and shaver socket make sense too as they are miles away from the basin...

and while I am talking Spanish electrics,
Are mains sockets permitted in bathrooms? WP_20180824_08_10_36_Pro - EletriciansForums.net
as a total amateur, what are the 3 chaps at the right? I am guessing they are to do with the card-switch system, so when you put your card in the slot so you can use the lights etc these activate the circuits for them and the sockets and aircon? Clearly that wee slotty thing can't carry the load on its own. Or am I talking rubbish...

Some places find that sockets in the bathroom are the way to go...
View attachment 43928
Obviously the low level socket is nearly 15cm from the edge of the wash basin, ideal for my straighteners, and the higher level hairdryer and shaver socket make sense too as they are miles away from the basin...
Bleedin' 'ell...….Johnny Depp talkin'?

Reply to Are mains sockets permitted in bathrooms? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock