Discuss Are my electrics safe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Justmovedin

Hello all,

Firstly I am not an electrician but I am clued up on atleast the basics, I have just bought a house and as my kids will live here I would like to make sure the electrics have not been done by cowboys so I will start from the beginning.

My living room has 2 double sockets, 1 both sides of the chimney breast, one is attached to the ring mains and the other is a spur. I would like to add 2 more double sockets in this room so I enlisted the help of my out of date electrician father (16th edition), to my knowledge extending a ring mains is ok for a competent person as long as not messing around with the CU. The wires to the extra sockets will be 2.5mm twin and earth continuing the ring mains and will be just behind 12.5mm plasterboard with metal capping. This circuit is RCD protected.

First question, is there any 17th edition changes to this my father will be unaware of or does this sound ok?

Secondly, upon inspecting the MCBs we have found out that the upstairs and downstairs socket MCBs do not switch of the sockets, but switching of the RCD protecting that gang (UP sockets, DWN sockets, Kitchen and Shower (non existent anymore) does turn the sockets off. There are 2.5mm wires going to these breakers but it doesn't seam to switch anything off.

Is this ok?

Thirdly the kitchen is an extension labelled cooker on the MCB. It does switch of all kitchen sockets including an electric oven I believe to be 2.6kw. however this is a ring of 2.5mm twin and earth protected by a 40amp MCB and the same RCD protecting all other sockets.

Is this ok?

And lastly if I were to have an electrician check over the electrics what would this involve, multi meter type stuff or pulling up floor boards and ceilings etc? And cost for this?

Many thanks, I give you alot to work with and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you need an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR for short)
An EICR would / should should be carried out by a competent Electrician coupled with the right equipment, and yes special test equipment will be needed.
The report would include Insulation resistance checks on the fixed wiring, condition of the accessories switched, sockets etc a certificate will be issued on completion of the report, the Electrician may fix small faults as he/she goes along, but anything witch requires upheaval of carpets and floor boards, should be discussed with you BEFORE any faults that are found that cannot be repaired as the report continues, as this will obviously incur a further cost to you, don't know how big your house is, and prices vary but a decent report will probably cost around £200 -£300, where in the Midlands are you situated. A pre visit to your house by the Electrician will enable him to provide an accurate quotation.file:///C:/Users/Pete/AppData/Local/Temp/Best-Practice-Guide-4-Issue-4-.pdf

Last edited:
I have seen people advertising an EICR for as little as £95.00 (I find this to be a very suspicious price) this is where all the circuits are tested and the equipment is inspected for damage/age/condition/overload etc. It can take 2-4 hours and usually does not involve dismantling, or should not. It does not cover anything under floor boards or in walls as these cannot be inspected. However it will give a very good idea of the state of your existing system.
I would caution that unless the person undertaking the inspection is experienced and familiar with these systems, you can end up with a questionable certificate. And there is always the possibility that work will be suggested that is not necessary if the person does not have the skills mentioned above.

There maybe a member on here local to you who for a small fee might be able to come and take a look and advise/quote you on what you require. It would be best to get the work done by an Electrician who is a member of one of the electrical schemes as additional works like what you have described should be completed in accordance with the latest regs and logged with building control.
Aside from that follow Dannyg8810's advise and get an EICR done first.

Hi JMI, I think you are right to look into this. There are issues in each area you mention and there may be more that haven't come to your attention yet, which is why an inspection is recommended. As would using an experienced Electrician who comes recommended by someone you know :)

Edit : re adding a socket - this IET article on safe zones may be helpful ...
Cables in walls - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/54/cables-in-walls/index.cfm

In particular, the fact that neither MCB for the sockets switches them off, suggests the two circuits may have been interconnected somewhere. This defeats the MCBs (the circuit(s) would only be protected at 64A) and could be dangerous in the event of overload or short-circuit. Comprehensive testing would identify where this has occurred, if it has. I would not modify the circuits in any way until tested.

Many thanks for the advice. I'm in West Bromwich. The whole house 3 bed 2 reception room is outdated victorian and will be having ceilings walls floors replaced etc, the origin plan was to go room by room but now I'm thinking would it be best to gut all the rooms at the same time and basically rewire the house with new colour wire as currently it's black and red. Put plugs where I want them Label everything clearly and all wires easily traceable due to ceilings being down etc, then get an electrician to change my consumer unit for a more modern one as at a later date sheds and other outdoor equipment will be connected and currently I only have space for 4 more mcbs, also put the mcbs in a better arrangements such as the upstairs sockets downstairs lighting and downstairs sockets upstairs lighting and being on separate RCDs ( I read that on here)

That way I know my electrics have been done correctly, upto date and also easy work for the electrician. I don't have 3 - 4k to pay someone to do the whole lot for me and as my dad is competent person and you guys advice on latest regs this would be ok yes?

Many thanks for the advice. I'm in West Bromwich. The whole house 3 bed 2 reception room is outdated victorian and will be having ceilings walls floors replaced etc, the origin plan was to go room by room but now I'm thinking would it be best to gut all the rooms at the same time and basically rewire the house with new colour wire as currently it's black and red. Put plugs where I want them Label everything clearly and all wires easily traceable due to ceilings being down etc, then get an electrician to change my consumer unit for a more modern one as at a later date sheds and other outdoor equipment will be connected and currently I only have space for 4 more mcbs, also put the mcbs in a better arrangements such as the upstairs sockets downstairs lighting and downstairs sockets upstairs lighting and being on separate RCDs ( I read that on here)

That way I know my electrics have been done correctly, upto date and also easy work for the electrician. I don't have 3 - 4k to pay someone to do the whole lot for me and as my dad is competent person and you guys advice on latest regs this would be ok?

In this case, my advice is don't go for a cheap EICR. With the little information you've provided, I would be charge around £240 and would expect to be on-site inspecting and testing for around 6 hours.

I have my suspicions about the issue with the MCBs not turning off the socket circuits. There are two options I would look at in the first instance... 1. the MCBs have failed, welded contacts or jammed mechanism and 2. somebody at sometime has connected one leg of each ring to each MCB. This is easy to diagnose by turning off both MCBs. If the power to the sockets goes off, this is most likely the cause. The other option is that someone has made a boo boo elsewhere and somehow there is alternative source of power to the socket circuits.

But, get a good quality EICR done and take it from there.

That way I know my electrics have been done correctly, upto date and also easy work for the electrician. I don't have 3 - 4k to pay someone to do the whole lot for me and as my dad is competent person and you guys advice on latest regs this would be ok yes?
Judging from this post you have some DIY skills, however doing the wiring yourself and getting a qualified Electrician to change the CU, seems without trying to be rude a triffle daft, no self respecting Electrician would do this and certify the installation, as he would need to be able to ensure the wiring you said you intended to install has been done correctly.
What you are suggesting. quite frankly is suspect, you do realise that there will be some items of the installation that will have to be reported to building control, that will cost you somewhere in the region of £300, if you do this work yourself.
Get the EICR done and take it from there, although anyone who is deemed competent could do the EICR I strongly recommend you employ an Electrician who is a member of one of the CP schemes, NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT, STROMA there are numerous schemes out there to chose from.

I have great DIY skills and have taken electrician course 10 years ago so understanding is ok, but as my father was a very experienced electrician undertaking many complete rewires domestic and commercial and now only out of the game due to a stroke my opinion is that with his and your advice on latest regs I could get the job done properly, legally and save alot of money.

I understand about an electrician signing it of but if he/she can very easily see, trace wires without having to remove anything what would be the problem. I'm a stickler for neatness

You have my advice, and seem to be intent on doing the work your way, I believe my advice to be correct, as I hope will other forum members, I for one will not be offering anymore advice as you suggested in your last post, not as a sort of " blow you Mate I told you what I thought", but as a safety issue, it would I think be dangerous to advise an amateur in such an ambitious project.
You did an Electricians course 10 years ago, your Dad has been out of the game for a while, there have been numerous changes in the BS7671 since then, some good some bad depends on you're thought process, Tried to help but now I'm out.

In England there is a process of Third Party Certification. You should engage the services of a suitably qualified spark BEFORE you even run in a cable. They will design, you will install exactly to their specification and they will come and inspect and test at various key stages and then at the end of it, sign it off.

It can be tricky to get someone to sign it off at the end of the job and normally requires you go a different route that involves an EICR on the whole property and then going through a somewhat expensive regularisation process with your local building control department.

Jesus man. How did you take offense to that message??? I appreciate your advice but from where I'm coming from I could pay to get the EICR test done and it could come back safe, but what's to say that the previous owners didn't just do the electrics themselves and never had it signed of or involved building control. Your advice is just that advice, and it doesn't go in one ear and out the other but your advice doesn't necessarily help me solve my problem. Yes I'm edging toward getting that test but if that costs me nearly £300 for example and then it shows up my wiring is all messed up or they condem it etc then the costs could spiral up and up to God knows what, atleast if I just get the whole thing done before hand as I want plugs moved and added in other rooms too, I will know it's done properly, where the wires etc but I can't afford an electrician to do full rewire and if electrician comes in as if it's a new build because wires exposed anything done not to standard can be easily rectified.

Instead of going mad and saying my advice is getting a test and that's that taking it or leave it and if you leave it your an idiot, give me more insight into 1, what my dad won't know anymore, 2 building controls and costs etc, and things like that, then I can say, yes I am willing to learn what needs to be done or no ok that's alot of work, that's above my head.

So my question is if I get that test done and it comes back ok, does that mean my electrics are safe and that's the only certificate I need? Will that prove they have been installed correctly or building control have been notified of whatever they need to be notified when they were installed?

Jesus man. How did you take offense to that message??? I appreciate your advice but from where I'm coming from I could pay to get the EICR test done and it could come back safe, but what's to say that the previous owners didn't just do the electrics themselves and never had it signed of or involved building control. Your advice is just that advice, and it doesn't go in one ear and out the other but your advice doesn't necessarily help me solve my problem. Yes I'm edging toward getting that test but if that costs me nearly £300 for example and then it shows up my wiring is all messed up or they condem it etc then the costs could spiral up and up to God knows what, atleast if I just get the whole thing done before hand as I want plugs moved and added in other rooms too, I will know it's done properly, where the wires etc but I can't afford an electrician to do full rewire and if electrician comes in as if it's a new build because wires exposed anything done not to standard can be easily rectified.

Instead of going mad and saying my advice is getting a test and that's that taking it or leave it and if you leave it your an idiot, give me more insight into 1, what my dad won't know anymore, 2 building controls and costs etc, and things like that, then I can say, yes I am willing to learn what needs to be done or no ok that's alot of work, that's above my head.

So my question is if I get that test done and it comes back ok, does that mean my electrics are safe and that's the only certificate I need? Will that prove they have been installed correctly or building control have been notified of whatever they need to be notified when they were installed?

Thanks sparky chick, that's more the advice I'm looking for. So which in your mind would be the more cost effective option and by how much? So I'm guessing I couldn't just follow the path of the existing wiring and remove old as I go along?

Oh sorry Pete just read your message again, first time I read it was on the move so didn't read it properly. Thanks anyway, as I said before I appreciate all advice.

Reply to Are my electrics safe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net