Discuss Are recessed sockets not BS1363 compliant? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well I can only see them blurred on my phone but from what I can make out there wouldnt be much room for the flex coming out plug would there?...

How do you mean? If its flex, it would find a way out if allowed some wiggle room.

Just wondering why there is no product out there that solves this problem.

You'd have to cut a big chunk out of the wall to accommodate it. Considering most modern TVs come with an adaptor anyway it's probably better just to use a brush plate like this:
Lindy 60238 Double Gang Brush Face Plate £12.34 TVCables
then you can run all the cables (HDMI, composite etc) all together, and they're easy enough to change at a later date. "Future-proof".
Do they use 'brush plates' in America? If not why not? Do they not comply with 'code'?

Have you seen a US plug and have you seen a UK plug???

If your looking to recess in the floor then you can just use floor boxes and standard sockets...

Yup and yup... but is that really a solution? You can't put a floor back lets say in the kitchen area if you wanted a recessed socket so you can have your appliances going right up flush to the wall.

You'd have to cut a big chunk out of the wall to accommodate it. Considering most modern TVs come with an adaptor anyway it's probably better just to use a brush plate like this:
Lindy 60238 Double Gang Brush Face Plate £12.34 TVCables
then you can run all the cables (HDMI, composite etc) all together, and they're easy enough to change at a later date. "Future-proof".
Do they use 'brush plates' in America? If not why not? Do they not comply with 'code'?

What adapter are you referring to for modern TVs?

How does a flush plate solve the problem of getting any power to the TV or appliance?

Yup and yup... but is that really a solution? You can't put a floor back lets say in the kitchen area if you wanted a recessed socket so you can have your appliances going right up flush to the wall.

Whilst I do not think the regulations specifically stop you doing that, many floor boxes are recessed into concrete screeds, I am not sure it would be wise for many practicable reasons, namely the enormous size of the chase you have to make to accommodate a floor box for a start, and it is highly likely you would break through into the cavity of double skin walls...assuming they are brick, and if dry wall....hahahahahahaha :D

The TV power adaptor:
LG TV Power Adaptor Spares | eSpares
You have a brush plate underneath the TV where all the cables come out of the DVD player etc, and another one directly behind the TV where you just have the plugs poking out of the wall and going straight into the back of the TV. You could have the power adaptor at the bottom and just poke the small ELV plug up through the wall.

I think we are diverting from the original question here and trying to justify not doing something because its unheard of.

Are recessed UK power sockets not compliant with BS1363? Is there a rule saying that they cannot be recessed into the wall?

There's nothing to say you can't, in fact the back of the socket is recessed into the wall. The question is why would you want to considering the flex comes out of the bottom of the plug, and remembering you only have a finite amount of space in the wall?
The Americans might use a different kind of socket, but for a TV or suchlike we use brush plates here.
For other appliances we use a fused connection unit or flex outlet.
It sounds like you're trying to come up with an elaborate solution to a problem which doesn't exist or has been solved with something much simpler.

I think we are diverting from the original question here and trying to justify not doing something because its unheard of.

Are recessed UK power sockets not compliant with BS1363? Is there a rule saying that they cannot be recessed into the wall?

I'd imagine they could be manufactured to meet BS 1363, but there wouldn't be enough demand.

They work in the U.S because of timber framed houses, there aren't enough framed houses here to justify producing them.
You'd be into the cavity trying to cut a suitable hole to fit them and more likely clashing with building regs than B.S. compliance.

Reply to Are recessed sockets not BS1363 compliant? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net