Discuss Are Socket Testers Worthwhile? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete E

-
DIY
Reaction score
Another thread mentioned those plug in socket testers that use three or four LEDs to indicate wiring faults on the socket...

Just wondering if these have any real value especially on a ring main?

I can't see that they would pick up a continuity issue unless say both 1/c and o/g cables were disconnected in the socket effectively leaving it dead? And if a person managed to cross the L&N wires from just one of the cables in the socket, on a ring it would surely trip the MCB/RCD on the main board?

So all in all, their use seems very limited? Or am I missing something?

Regards,

Peter

I rarely use a socket tester. The one I do use is a Kewtech one. While it cannot be used to comply with BS7671 it is sometimes of use to indicate something is wrong, but not usually all is well. So yes, but qualified with very limited use.

I use mine primarily to assist with locating MCBs for circuits (it beeps... when it doesn't you've turned it off - please note, final confirmation is always made with an AVI - and it has an RCD test button on it which can be handy) and as a very rough indication as to the Zs... if it thinks it's bad, it's usually turns out to be very bad when you get a real Zs test on it.

Other than that, I use it for functional testing of socket outlets once all the other testing is completed.

As above, I use one only to test if a circuit is on or off.
They all have a big flaw: if you have an earth > neutral reversal on the socket, you'll still get three green OK lights!!

I agree with what SC and others have said. Mainly useful to detect which breaker a socket is on, but be aware of their limitations. I have found some issues at sockets prior to loop testing which have proved to be correctly diagnosed by one of these testers when properly looked into.
There is a BPG or similar I recall a couple of years back that discusses their pros n cons in some detail.

neon driver ok for checking the fuse in a plug (or plug top...)
socket tester good for quick check to see if something is wrong, but if it says it is, then you have more to do...and if it says all is well, you have more to do to make sure....thus, useful if they show a "fault", great for switching mcbs off etc if the buzzer is loud enough

Reply to Are Socket Testers Worthwhile? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net