Discuss Are these 2 AC/DC power supplies equivalent? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Feata

Hi,

I'm trying to install some Smart LED lightening in our kitchen. We already have wiring available to us (mains supply via a light switch).

I've bought Osram Flex lightening - which comes with a plug in power supply that converts the 230V AC to 12V DC.
My question is can I use the Mean Well Lpv 35 12, connected to the mains, in its place? As far as I can see it serves the same function (transforms 230v AC to 12V DC), the only difference I can see is the current output, it's 1.67a on the plug supplied with the lights, and 3.0a on the meanwell.
I've attached photos of both.
Any advice appreciated !DSC_0237.JPG DSC_0236.JPG

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

No, in a quick response as the OSRAM one is almost half the power size as the top one (See output in amps), as you have noted already although this on its own my not be an issue, crucially the kind of lighting here could make a difference to whether these are both similar in nature, I would guess that the top pic is a standard transformer where as because you have LED kits the bottom one is a DC driver.

Last edited:
Thanks! You've saved me from burning out the LEDs!
So I guess in short I need to hunt for a DC driver that matches voltage and current to the DC driver plug supplied with the Osram. I'm going to call in the a LED lighting shop close by and see what they can sort me out with.
Thanks again :)

The top transformer is what is known as a constant voltage transformer and so the output will be maintained at 12v DC to power whatever is connected, the OSRAM is a DC driver and specific to certain loads like LED ribbons where the LEDs may be in series, these are often refered to as constant current although I am guessing as I have no product info...

If you take your smart LED kit to them. I'm sure they will give you the correct TX/Driver

I would tend to believe that the lower osram one is a constant voltage (as it specifies the voltage, 12V dc) as is the meanwell one above.
Because the meanwell one can take a larger load than the osram one then it should be fine with powering the LEDs you have.

They are both 12V constant voltage power supplies but the meanwell one has a higher rating (35W as opposed to 20W) .

Dc drivers normally express the max voltage but don't usually give enough info on them to denote how they are configured hence my air of caution ..

I can understand the caution with providing advice on connecting something that may cause damage.
Always a worry on a forum.
A constant current driver would at least specify the current usually in mA at 350 /700 mA, etc. and would not specify a voltage as this would be variable.

Looking up both devices the top one is a constant voltage tx while the osram is a led driver for a ribbon 2m max so given this the led ribbon is more likely to be series variable voltage fixed current although hands up I could be wrong on the matter.. I was like I said airing on the side of caution as I stated it's common for a lack of info on the driver itself.

1.67A would be an unusual output for a constant current driver, so I'd agreed with Richard Burns that they are both likely to be constant voltage, with the higher power one being a suitable replacement for the lower power one. Also, constant current drivers tend to have a range of acceptable output voltage stated.

I would point out, however, that the Mean Well 'transformer' appears to have single insulated wires on its input side. If these can't be replaced by a proper insulated and sheathed cable, then it wouldn't comply with regulations for an accessible item of electrical equipment.

Reply to Are these 2 AC/DC power supplies equivalent? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net