Discuss are these substations in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tr87

are the buildings in the picture substations?, how danerous actually are these places. as i saw a group of kids poking sticks through one, could you get killed if you stuck something in 1 of the grills on them.

Attachments

• subst2.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 234
  • substa1.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 199
yes they are subs and yes if you stuck something long enough through the door you could be killed,high voltages can flash over you don,t need to touch live parts.

yes they are subs and yes if you stuck something long enough through the door you could be killed,high voltages can flash over you don,t need to touch live parts.

There won't be any HV live conductors exposed in a distribution (secondary) sub, only the LV frame, still not a good idea to stick things through the door!

No im not a copper thief thanks, i was just concerned where 1 of them is, as its right nr a school bus stop where i live nr and its just ive seen kids poking rubbish etc through the door. i was just wondering how dangerous these places actually are.

so this is a distribution sub i guess with no exposed parts inside and is preety saf?

Poking rubbish through the door won't kill you, not many enclosed subs around now that have open busbars in them. Went in one a while back and that was behind a hoarding, don't know why but still got that little feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I walked past it

In my opinion you could not stick anything through the door and get a shock! i used to work for SSE been in many substations, you would struggle to find something to touch that could injure really, mainly switching etc in larger ones. smaller ones mainly just feeder pillers enclosed!

In my opinion you could not stick anything through the door and get a shock! i used to work for SSE been in many substations, you would struggle to find something to touch that could injure really, mainly switching etc in larger ones. smaller ones mainly just feeder pillers enclosed!

The voice of reason.

I’ve kept out of this discussion, waiting for a sensible answer.

this is the substation im a little concerned about, as you see the small brick building was vandalised but has now been boarded up, also the gate is now left open/been damaged

the transformer? in the fence is still there though, (its got a like spring thing nr the bottom of it if thats helps identifiy it has a transformer). if you poked a e.g metal object through the fence and managed to touch this would you get a shock. as said ive seen children walking past pokign stick throguh the fence.

Attachments

• sub1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 95
I’ve taken the photo in to photoshop and still can’t get a good look see.

But from what I can make out it’s disused, the transformer bay is empty. The LV O/H line could still be live with the Lucy pole fuses removed.

A good photograph would help.

We worked on it live. It’s 550V just to add to the fun.

How come there’s no live working on link boxes now? OK their a bit dodgy but if you were quick fitting or removing links the fireworks weren’t to bad. With a four-way box there must be one hell of a lot of disruption.

Reply to are these substations in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net