Discuss are these substations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

We worked on it live. It’s 550V just to add to the fun.

How come there’s no live working on link boxes now? OK their a bit dodgy but if you were quick fitting or removing links the fireworks weren’t to bad. With a four-way box there must be one hell of a lot of disruption.

It's just the open busbar "calendar" boxes that we have in Birmingham that are made dead, all other link boxes are linked in live. The "calendar" boxes have concentric busbars that are only a couple of cms apart, the insulators are usually in a bad way and the links are big enough to go across the phases.

Normal link boxes with the standard links are fine for normal operation, I'll see if I can dig up a pic of our "calendar" box!

You’ve just reminded me of the time I spent at EMEB’s Woolaton training centre. I was doing MV jointing, there was another group doing LV. One guy I will never forget, you could see the concentration on his face as he poured the metal over the cores. They were live, you could guarantee his foot would slip back off the mat on to the metal decking. 230V up the stream of metal and through him was funny to watch. The only sympathy he got was you need a f**king light bulb on yer ed!
View attachment 10956
The LV mob were given the instructions for a 4 way box just before we all packed up for the day, they were told to read them before the morning as they would have to crack on to get it finished in a day.
They had to break in to a PILC SWA for two legs of the box and connect a PVC concentric and a PVC SWA that was live and potted. These were the old style boxes were you had sixteen ½“ studs to sweat the cores to with weakbacks.

They did crack on quite well until it got the live cable, there was a lot of swearing and cursing but they all got it finished. Then there was a shout from one of the lads, he’d finally read the last page of the instructions.

UNDER NO CERCUMSTANCES IS ANY PART OF THIS PROCEDURE TO BE CARIED OUT LIVE!

(It should have been the first page).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to give you another laugh. A hot sunny day and even though I was in just shorts and tee shirt I was sweating like a pig. My metal framed glasses were slipping down my nose and in danger of falling in the link box, my mate was pushing my glasses back with an insulated screw driver.

Proper jointing. It's all snap on connectors and resin these days, there's no art to it anymore! You can joint in a 4 way link box in no time!

Did you ever see consac cable? Solid alu sheathed neutral earth, it's paid many an engineers mortgages with neutral faults. Smallest nick in the PVC and it puff balls!

Never worked on CONSAC but I’ve seen it been breach jointed. What a pain in the arse. 3 streets in Nottingham lost the neutral due to a small nick in the outer serving and as you say the sheath puff balling. Cost EMEB a fortune for fried televisions, VCR’s etc. It was the gas board that damaged the cable!

You know that sign they put up on subs? "Keep Out, Danger Of Death"
They don't put that on them just for a giggle you know:)

I had one of those on my back gate when we had some junkies living a couple of doors away,one nearly found out what it meant one night when i caught him trying to break in luckily for him somebody stopped me.

Thanks for that Tony. Good thread this. Don't think I'd fancy doing the job though! Daz

we had a link box on the corner of our street and one day it went bang,the woman in the papershop said "oh that thing,its been smoking for hours"didn,t know which was funnier the fact she had watched it and not thought to phone anyone or the message on the smokes i was buying"smoking may damage your health" well it obviously didn,t do the box any good,:)

I know of a similar looking substation where the HV transformer and RMU have been removed from the pad, HOWEVER the LV is now backfed through one of the UG feeders.

are these substations {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

One very dead link box

Reply to are these substations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock