Discuss Are we all looking forward to saving £11 per year? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The only reason why they introduce these things,is because somewhere alone the line, theirs benefit in it for them, I . E. more money. If you have one, you can look forward to a bigger electricity bill, count on it !

The only reason why they introduce these things,is because somewhere alone the line, theirs benefit in it for them, I . E. more money. If you have one, you can look forward to a bigger electricity bill, count on it !

I don't understand that argument. Its a meter that measures consumption, and informs you in real time of your usage.

Will you be charged extra for that consumption?

I reckon that they will start to use them to charge for peak time use of power. So, cooking the turkey on Christmas Day may suddenly become a lot more expensive.
I have resisted these from day one, I had my current supplier ring me recently and his main selling feature was that I don’t have to read the meter anymore... if that’s all they can come up with there has to be more to it!

Its strange because after spending s**t loads on led lights etc etc etc around the house, my bill appears to have increased significantly.
It's a con, the less you use, the less they make so the more they have to put up the price to keep the shareholders and ceo in the money.

I also changed my supplier, and that was great....for two months!
I just found out that my dual tariff meter is being charged at the same rate for both tariffs. As neither my dishwasher or washing machine are time clock friendly, all that time I've been creeping out of bed to put them on during the night tariff. What a plonker.

How can they save you money if you don't reduce you consumption.?I'm not doing that. If I want a hot drink I will have one. They don't reduce your tariff for having one. And yes you have to buy batteries for the hand held reader, so that is actually more money.

How can they save you money if you don't reduce you consumption.?I'm not doing that. If I want a hot drink I will have one. They don't reduce your tariff for having one. And yes you have to buy batteries for the hand held reader, so that is actually more money.

Exactly. I'm already only using the energy I need/want, so why would fitting a smart meter result in me using less?

How much have we all paid through our bills already to pay for the rollout of this farce? I can't believe (well sadly I can) that 'smart' meters are still being fitted that can only be used with one utility supplier. Outrageous really.

I think george hit the nail on head. They'll claim you get a discount for using off peak but in reality they'll be putting up the prices for peak usage. Also saves the Suppliers a bit of money as they wont need many meter readers, if any.

Cynical or not, at the moment you have no choice in saving money by doing things at a different time (of course apart from the obvious e7 tariff)
So effectively like everyone shopping at Sainsbury's. Smart meters could tell you the electric prices in real time, so as the person who chooses to have a cup of tea you can decide whether to put it off half an hour to save money.
So effectively you can have a Lidl experience to save money.
On the other hand if you want to show off your wealth you can jump in the hot tub during coronation Street break and have the Waitrose experience.

Work harder, get a better job paying more money or charge your customers more and then you don't have to worry about the cost of gas and electrickery.

I wonder if the CEO/owner of the company that manufactures the smart meters or the company tasked to install them has any political contacts as the only people to benefit from this are the companies and not the punters, I know its an EU ruling that we "have" to adhere to but as customers we are being reamed as we are paying/contributing £420 per customer to fund the rollout (Thisismoney 2017 report).

Also the meters can be hacked, nice as then the data is sold to thieves who then know when you are on holiday and rob your house/business.

data is sold to thieves who then know when you are on holiday and rob your house/business.
This one comes up a lot, but most thieves literally walk past a load of houses using no more technology than their eyes, and see who has all their lights off an no cars on the drive. I've never seen an interview with an ex thief that uses bought smart data to produce a list of candidate houses!

This one comes up a lot, but most thieves literally walk past a load of houses using no more technology than their eyes, and see who has all their lights off an no cars on the drive. I've never seen an interview with an ex thief that uses bought smart data to produce a list of candidate houses!
It will happen in the future mark my words.

When I get a call "advising" me that I should have a smart meter installed I just tell the bod at the end of the line that I was the technical consultant on the project and with my inside knowledge I would never ever have a smart meter installed, that usually stuns them in to silence and they can't come back with an option/arguement to convince me.

I’m with PFP Energy They do not do smart meters you just send the meter readings once a month cheaper then the big boys and a much nicer company to deal with, went for paying £60 a month with sse to £22 with PFP for a dual tariff and still in credit with PFP

Reply to Are we all looking forward to saving £11 per year? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net