Discuss Are you based in Frimley???????? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Zs of the circuits are measured
Rcd tests are carried out
Ze etc etc.
If the rcd is external to the main consumer unit then the distribution circuit supplying and connecting to the rcd is measured but no not the physical rcd no.
That’s what rcd tests are for is it not?

I wonder why it’s applicable for one RCD, but not for the other two?
The first one is an RCBO (61009), the other two are two RCDs (61008) covering a group of MCBs each. So the RCDs themselves don't require a Zs test, rather the MCBs they cover do. I think the way he has used a circuit to write down the RCDs is confusing.

Last edited:
The first one is an RCBO (61009), the other two are two RCDs (61008) covering a group of MCBs each. So the RCDs themselves don't require a Zs test, rather the MCBs they cover do. I think the way he has used a circuit to write down the RCDs is confusing.
Yep. I think someone's getting mixed up.
He's given the RCD's a circuit number. I usually replace the cct no with RCD 1 and RCD2 and leave a blank line, except for the RCD times and rating.

You have to know the Zs to ensure the RCDs will work.
<1667 Ohms for 30mA
<500 Ohms for 100mA
<167 Ohms for 300mA
<100 Ohms for 500mA.
You cannot say it’s not applicable.
You can leave it blank because you’ve tested all the circuits protected by the RCD, or you can record the highest measured value for the circuits the RCD protects.

<1667 Ohms for 30mA
<500 Ohms for 100mA
<167 Ohms for 300mA
<100 Ohms for 500mA.
You can leave it blank because you’ve tested all the circuits protected by the RCD, or you can record the highest measured value for the circuits the RCD protects.
By taking a zs of the protected rcd circuits and even the ze then we know that 50v/0.03 is satisfied anyway however the zs is measured to ensure ADS of the over current protective device.
Nowhere does any literature on testing say that the rcd requires a separate zs test and why would it?
Any specific rcd testing can be found in GN3
It is the rcd tests that ensures the rcd will disconnect in the required times.

<1667 Ohms for 30mA
<500 Ohms for 100mA
<167 Ohms for 300mA
<100 Ohms for 500mA.
I’m guessing your talking about rcd testing half times 1x and 5x tests and not a zs of the rcd as they are not the same.

<1667 Ohms for 30mA
<500 Ohms for 100mA
<167 Ohms for 300mA
<100 Ohms for 500mA.
These values are for if you need the RCD to provide fault protection as well as additional protection. So in most situations they are not applicable.

Reply to Are you based in Frimley???????? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net