Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Asbestos exposure or not. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. alexander jackson

alexander jackson Active EF Member

Last week I had finished fitting a mains board inside a lighthouse and had started to clip the flex for a tubular heater.
    First bash of the hammer on the cable clip produced a large cloud of dusty debris that came outfrom behind the wood pannels onto which the flex was going to be held.
    I was coated with the stuss and breathed in a load to the extent that my voice was hoarse for the remainder of the day.
    I followed procedure and phoned my findings into head office suspecting that it may be an asbestos containing substance.
    To cut out all the intervening goings on air samples were taken by an analyst and found to contain NO fibres but solid samples were taken aswell and found to be positive for Crysotile.
    I have been told that as no airborne fibres were foind I have not been exposed !!! Surely the massive lung fyll of the dust cloud proves otherwise.
    Thoughts please.
    A.

2. LankyWill

LankyWill Guest

How old are you? If your above 45 I wouldn’t worry because it takes 40 years to die . Could of been general building dust or plasterboard dust, I wouldn’t worry yourself too much as minor exposure isn’t going to kill you it’s prolonged exposure that’s the killer. You followed the correct procedure now just relax and forget about it.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  3. alexander jackson

56, and sick of surveys, investigations and areas made 'safe' by companies that 'clean' an area because they were the lowest tender in a few quotes.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  4. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

Surely there is a asbestos register for the building? If so why wasnt that consulted before you commenced works?

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Forum Mentor

I have experienced this before. Legally to get possible compensation if it is Asbestos you need to go to a doctor immediately and tell them what happened and they will issue you will a certificate saying you may have been exposed, regarding Wills post about not worrying about it because it takes 40 years, well I understand his view, but it can occur in less time, I would definately seek advice and insist on the Asbestos register for the site.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. essex

essex Forum Mentor

The company has told you no asbestos fibres were airborne. What more would you want?

7. Michael Sands

Michael Sands Active EF Member

And why did you continue if you suspected asbestos and you should have been wearing proper PPE gear to stop breathing in dust from the beginning

8. alexander jackson

The building was certified clean 9 years before.And documented so. You have to rely on these results but not in every case so it seems.

9. essex

essex Forum Mentor

An asbestos register is not to be used for works. It is a register of known asbestos for the benefit of normal building users carrying out normal everyday tasks. It should not be used as the only source to work under.

When carrying out construction work a specific R&D survey is required if you think there is a possibility of ACMs in the area that you are working.

Consulting the asbestos register is pointless and not the correct procedure for the works you are carrying out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Forum Mentor

I have also experienced this before Neil, a company telling their staff no Asbestos was in the building, yet it was found, the register went missing and when found it proved it was in there, the person concerned was sacked and all staff exposed had to see a doctor, Never trust a manager, never, they are muppets, myself and you not included of course :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

Not sure what testing the air any appreciable time after an incident proves.
    I would expect them to collect dust from surrounding surfaces.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. essex

essex Forum Mentor

Standard procedure when a suspected ACM may have been damaged.

13. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    myself and you not included of course.

who says???? :D:D:D.

14. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

All you can do now is have all the information recorded, gather copies of the asbestos register, incident report, asbestos survey finding etc and store them safely for future reference if you do develop an asbestos related disease.

Could take 5 - 60 years.

15. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    by which time he'll be dead, or won't he. I await the next episode with bated breath ( with an approved dust mask on, of course).