Discuss Asbestos exposure or not. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

50 years of Benson& Hedges, and you think i worry about a bit of asbestos???????
How much money you got stashed away just about everyone I know who smokes these days is on roll ups, until someone goes on holiday and brings a suitcase full back everytime.

I don't think dust-masks can prevent asbestos fibres from being breathed in, they are too small and will penetrate the mask - not that the OP was wearing one anyway! It would have to be breathing apparatus like the Fire-service use or perhaps one of those respirator masks might do the trick?

I don't think dust-masks can prevent asbestos fibres from being breathed in, they are too small and will penetrate the mask - not that the OP was wearing one anyway! It would have to be breathing apparatus like the Fire-service use or perhaps one of those respirator masks might do the trick?
An FFP3 mask is able to repel asbestos

Spent years based in a office that was found to have crumbling asbestoes clad tank directly above.
Still have a copy of the asbestoes report for litagation purposes later in death.

Think you need a bit more than just a mask, I'm led to believe.

Certainly is, two trips to the van just for all the kit, then the class M vacuum cleaner and this is only a metal clad cut out replacement.

The mask is to save you from breathing in the asbestos

The disposable boiler suits and vacuum cleaner is to stop you from further contaminating the area

Everything has to be double bagged as well.

Ah yeh I'm 45 now and I know for certain I've been exposed over the years. Back in my apprentice days even though it was mostly banned it just wasn't seen as a big deal

Needs to be someone trained & registered, don't it?
No.

There is different types of job.

If it is considered minor works, in theory you can do it yourself but once it is double bagged, you have to get a registered contractor to come and collect it and take it to a licensed premises to be disposed of.

Theres all different licensing for asbestos removal. A one day course and your approved to carry out “non licensed non notifiable removal” and “non licensed notifiable removal”.
As stated above, an ffp3 paper filter is the minimum approved rating for asbestos work which can be a disposable filter for a half or full mask with pre- filters, class H vacuum and category 5/6 disposable paper overalls. Not every type of asbestos waste has to be double bagged. Just depends which category “type 1 or type 2” it is. Things like workin with chrysotile texture coating (artex) can be single bagged etc.

Reply to Asbestos exposure or not. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock