Discuss Asbestos light switch accessory boxes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Never seen anything remotely like asbestos boxes (thats not to say they didn't exist). That looks a lot like an old wooden box, but hard to tell from the picture.

worth showing your findings to whoever ordered the work, there are companies to call for inspection and removal of the stuff.
if they not bother then invest in a proper mask and a tyvek suit if you planning to disturb it.

Have only seen wooden back boxes that look like that, think it's just old and not been loved, take it out and send some more pics, might be wrong as l am only 48 maybe some one like tel can shed some light on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like it could be what we used to call 'millboard' when I was an apprentice. Usually it was used in wooden cupboards that had electrical equipment in them. We used to get it in a large sheet and hand-cut it into panels to internally clad the cupboard to make it flash-proof or fire resistant. That said I've never seen it used on its own in cement but I'd suggest you get it checked out according to whatever your local regulations dictate. Without seeing the texture of it first hand and giving it a prod with a screwdriver it's impossible to say if it's asbestos or not.

Last edited:
Agree it looks like a regular wooden back-box. The sides usually taper to a thin section around the front edge that we can see, which makes them look thinner than they are and more like a sheet material. If you touch a drop of water on the cleanest part you can find, the colour of the wood might show through, and you won't disturb any dust. I have also never seen a light switch box made of asbestos cement board.

Reply to Asbestos light switch accessory boxes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock