Discuss Asked to provide an Electrical Installation Certificate after 2 years as a statement of safety in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been asked to provide an EIC some two years after the work was completed.
I did a cert at the time but the client claimed not to have received it. He now wants a guarantee of electrical safety.
OK so no problem getting a copy of the cert. It was a paper version but even so, I did a duplicate, however I'm thinking why after two years??
I'm wondering if he plans to rent the property now and planning on using the EIC as part of the process.
I don't know much about renting property but I thought he'd need a EICR doing at the point when the property rents out?
What do you think guys?

You could always CYA more and put 'COPY OF EIC, TAKEN ON ??/??/??' and put the original date on.

You could always CYA more and put 'COPY OF EIC, TAKEN ON ??/??/??' and put the original date on.
Yeah, that's what I did..
I recall turning up on day 1 to find the kitchen men had been in and stripped out the old units and work-tops leaving cables, sockets and FCUs dangling in the breeze. Job was a real pain - client kept changing his mind. Adds insult to injury requesting a copy of the cert that far back....

Was he the one ordering the work at the time?. If so how did you get the certificate to him? his lost the original one, hasn't he.

Was he the one ordering the work at the time?. If so how did you get the certificate to him? his lost the original one, hasn't he.

Actually it was the kitchen company that engaged my services and I gave them the certificate to pass to the client - that's how they worked - so they wouldn't pass on the cert unless they got full and final settlement....

Used to use my horse, but everyone thought I was a cowboy.
Come to think on it, they st
Actually it was the kitchen company that engaged my services and I gave them the certificate to pass to the client - that's how they worked - so they wouldn't pass on the cert unless they got full and final settlement....
Thatbeing the case, you are not obliged to provide the householder with a copy.

Reply to Asked to provide an Electrical Installation Certificate after 2 years as a statement of safety in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net