Discuss Attention All Solar PV Installers. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Would you like an online Q&A session with REAL?

• Yes

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guest123

Hi there.

Some of you may be aware that Fiona from REAL has been in contact with us with regard to holding a live Q&A session on the forum.

I've had a chat with her & Dan and they both support the idea as do I.

The format suggested is something along the lines of a 1 hour session where the Chief Exec of REAL, Virginia Graham will be online to answer questions you may have regrding REAL such as what it does, getting rid of rogues and what we can all do to protect the professional reputation of the industry.

I feel the easiest way would be for me to set up a 'live' thread which I would also remain online to moderate should it be needed, where you ask the questions in an orderly fashion whereby a question would be asked & Virginia would be given time to reply to it before another was asked etc.

All I need to know from you guys is the best time to do it, so if you could have a chat here, and decide on a time I will then pass the info back to Fiona and get the ball rolling.

Many thanks chaps.

Lenny.

:indian_chief:

Evening would be a good time, i'm sure most bona fide installers have a roof to be on during working hours.

That said, I've said my piece to Virgina a while back and do not have any pressing points to push. REAL is another business tax to us these days, we comply and pay our yearly bill and thats about it.

Well im installing my first job in the next few weeks and im interested but not MCS registered yet, you saying i shouldn't be included? :(

If you're not registered now, no.

Why should real listen to the view of those not yet registered or who will never be. Oh but hang on a minute, it's not for or about registered members is it, not really. And TBH I'm worried that a little light entertainment here will enable claims to made later "that we've listen" blah blah blah.

I do have a question, I hope it can be answered even if I'm not here "Live"

A solar recuritment firm sends me emails with the REA logo - are they using it correctly and are they part of the scheme? If YES then why are lead generation compaines not subject to complying with the REA code and only selling to MCS and REAL firms?

My 3rd question is who owns REAL and is it a for profit organization?

Early evening seems like a sensible time to conduct this. I think it is a good thing that REAL have agreed to do this and don't understand why it be necessary to exclude non REAL members.

GoToMeeting (Redirect) may be a better solution - you can actually speak then!

You can also moderate who's allowed on the call.

If you've never done it before, as a presenter it's a bit weird, the advantage is that a discussion can be had.

The session can be recorded and the comments transcribed, so that it can be made available for reply.

We've used it many a time for this kind of session, It is an excellent solution. It's real time, far better than a 'live thread' that you have to keep refreshing.

Alternatives: https://join.me/

100% behind this idea. Evening better than any I would say but please ADVERTISE the date?

We all have a voice let's get it heard is what I say.

P.S A thank you to Lenny and Forum Mods & Admin for allowing this to happen on here.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody

Just joined today and this seems like an excellent forum.

I am in the process of helping my company go through MCS. We are a long established central heating company and we have always kept our eye on the renewables market and felt it was now time to follow through on that interest.

We made our REAL application and found that we were complying with most of the requirements already and those we weren't was paperwork rather than intent.

As part of the whole business process we did a secret shopper and asked several large solar PV companies to quote for a job (its a bit naughty and I would have felt bad about it if there were actually any decent companies that had their time wasted)

I have been genuinely shocked by the complete disregard for MCS and REAL standards.
  • Every one of the 5 companies quoted for a system that physically wouldn't fit on the roof (1 came close but were leaving 200mm spare between the ridge and the gutter)
  • 4 out of 5 dropped their prices by thousands off pounds during the sales pitch.
  • 1 company was demanding a 30% deposit
  • 1 company wrote down a price on a PV panel data sheet and then offered discounts of thousands for giving references and signing quickly. (this company takes out 3 or 4 full page national newspaper ads every week and the sales guy says they are fitting 15 systems a week.
  • Only 1 of the companies came close to giving the required paperwork - most missed by miles
I was given a copy of a quote supplied to one of our central heating customers. This was from a company mentioned on this forum called Solar King. This quote didn't even specify the number of panels but informed the customer the system would produce "3459.33" kWh per annum. They quoted a price of £17,202.00 and the best bit is the potential 25 year return is £82,692.03 (don't forget the 3pence).

I have looked at other companies website offering to pay the VAT on systems supplied so on a £10k system they are offering discounts of £500 which is way outside the amount allowed by REAL.

In my experience the industry is plagued by companies with no regard for REAL or MCS and badly needs to be cleaned up.

On the positive side by market testing the competition and seeing how bad they are I am highly confident that doing the whole thing properly will set us apart and we will have a good future in this new and exiting market.

I would be delighted to make my findings known to REAL and would definitely like an opportunity to join in the proposed discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the You and Yours show today in Virginia Graham's own words, "Our rules are that those members are responsible for all the selling and alll the contracting even if they themselves have not carried it out ...and we would in this instance would hold Norton responsible"

It was clear from Sawa Ahmed of Norton Energy Solution My Energy Station, that he didn't give a ** about the sales practices of his outsourced sales force(s).

So now we need to see if REAL actually have any teeth, or is it all bark and a toothless bite?

It's up to Virginia Graham to strike Norton off - does she have the guts to do it? - Time to stand up and be counted.

Or will we get an apologetic, "We've talked with them, slapped their wrirsts and they've promised not to do it again" ?

I have reported several serious breaches of the code directly to Virginia. Not seen any action!

I say we should have and MCS london Bridge where we display the heads of those who break the rules. There are a few household brands out there as well as crooked businessmen who'd think twice before 'aggressively targeting the market'.

Seems to be a distinct lack of interest in the proposed Q&A session here chaps.

This is an opportunity for you to put your concerns & comments directly yo Virginia Graham at REAL.

I though it would be a good thing for you guys to get your questions answered.

I'll add a pole to the thread so members can vote yes or no which will run for a week. At the end of that week if no further interest is shown the session will be cancelled.

Regards

Lenny.

Sorry, I would definately love to see this happen, I just didnt have anything to add other than what has been said, I think most of us have similar questions and ideas from reading this. Regarding the time, evening is best for me- be a good excuse to step away from the papaerwork for an hour!

Thanks for organising this! :)

@Lenny, where would you stickie that pole? ROFLOL ! :rofl:

A poll would be a good idea.

I think it's a good idea. I'd like to hear the answers to the questions mentioned so far and may think of a few questions by the time it happens.

@Lenny - Schedule an evening Q&A and most of us can be there... (Build it and they will come ...)

Reply to Attention All Solar PV Installers. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock