Discuss Audi battery intermittent drain in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Audi A6 – 2007

Since I bought the car 2.5 years ago at a main Audi dealership it’s had an intermittent battery drain which I’ve tried all sorts to trace. It’s getting steadily worse and none of the ‘standard’ techniques have traced it yet, mostly due to the intermittency of the fault. The dealership has had the car for two days & unable to trace either – not an easy one ….

· The battery was replaced when I bought the car.
· Often the car will sit for a week staying at 100% then hours later it’s at 10% (regardless of how much the car is used) before Canbus arrests the drain (I think) allowing it to always start. The fact it ALWAYS starts makes me think the Canbus is ok.
· There was a recall for water leaking into the electrics which has been done but I stripped it all out myself & double checked - dry as a bone with no water marks.
· The car is stock, nothing changed at all except the towbar, which was fully electrically checked recently.
· I’ve tried to check the battery with a multimeter but both times had nil readings and both times got a spark across the terminals and probe wire heating before disconnecting in case of a short or multimeter damage!
· The fact that the battery has been depleted so many times now (approx. twice a week these days although it doesn’t get driven much) makes me suspect the car’s battery meter. The indications often don’t seem to add up: very fast drain on some occasions, varying rates of recharge more often than not and the fact that the battery has taken such a beating and not given up the ghost yet.

Any thoughts folks?

might be a long shot, but, considering it seems to be sometimes a hefty drain ,a possible intermittent fault on the alternator.

Many thanks for the replies folks

Leesparkykent - I've no-one locally (inside 60 miles) I can leave it with for a while as I'm in the North of Scotland & my local guy closed down.
Murdoch - Posted on several Audi forums to no avail
Telectrix - with the lack of a good local leccy I was kinda hoping the Audi dealers might have picked up on that one
ifindoubt - can you post or send me that link please?

I had a similar issue with an irregular power drain on a Polo, turns out the radio has a power adapter on the back that sometimes doesn't shut down the feed to the radio or the 12V to the aerial when the keys are removed, I played around with it for a bit and it seemed to fix the issue for a few months, then just changed the adapter and not had an issue since!

Audi A6 – 2007

Since I bought the car 2.5 years ago at a main Audi dealership it’s had an intermittent battery drain which I’ve tried all sorts to trace. It’s getting steadily worse and none of the ‘standard’ techniques have traced it yet, mostly due to the intermittency of the fault. The dealership has had the car for two days & unable to trace either – not an easy one ….

· The battery was replaced when I bought the car.
· Often the car will sit for a week staying at 100% then hours later it’s at 10% (regardless of how much the car is used) before Canbus arrests the drain (I think) allowing it to always start. The fact it ALWAYS starts makes me think the Canbus is ok.
· There was a recall for water leaking into the electrics which has been done but I stripped it all out myself & double checked - dry as a bone with no water marks.
· The car is stock, nothing changed at all except the towbar, which was fully electrically checked recently.
· I’ve tried to check the battery with a multimeter but both times had nil readings and both times got a spark across the terminals and probe wire heating before disconnecting in case of a short or multimeter damage!
· The fact that the battery has been depleted so many times now (approx. twice a week these days although it doesn’t get driven much) makes me suspect the car’s battery meter. The indications often don’t seem to add up: very fast drain on some occasions, varying rates of recharge more often than not and the fact that the battery has taken such a beating and not given up the ghost yet.

Any thoughts folks?

Do you have the Audi Bluetooth module fitted to the car ?

These have been known to go faulty and not shut off when the key is removed. This then drains the battery

My Celica has an intermittent fault somewhere on the central locking which flattens the battery overnight.

Reply to Audi battery intermittent drain in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock