Discuss Aussie Sparky new to UK in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

David

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just come across to the UK and in the process of establishing myself. Currently based in London and been a qualified electrician in Australia for 10 years after completing a 4 year apprenticeship. I have completed the 18th edition, AM2 and have had my Aus qualification recognised as NVQ3 equivalent. Will be applying for an ECS gold card after doing the HSE next week. I will be looking to start work in the new year. I have a couple questions: 1. what conditions and rates of pay could I expect and what is the best form of employment e.g PAYE or CIS; and 2. What other qualifications could boost my income eg Inspection and testing?
Thanks for any feedback!

look on indeed . that will give you an idea of ages. as for last2 lines, insp.&test (c&G 2391) and maybe design ( 2396, i think).

I'd get back on that plane and go back to OZ the UK is a terrible place to work with rubbish wages.

* when Teresa May was as the G20 last time I seem to remember the UK having the worst wage growth than any country in the G20. Or something to that effect.

I'd get back on that plane and go back to OZ the UK is a terrible place to work with rubbish wages.Teresa May was as the G20 last time I seem to remember the UK having the worst wage growth than any country in the G20. Or something to that effect.
Take no notice david. Britain is a brilliant place to live. And there is a massive shortage of sparkies. The money is real good too.
Welcome to the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi & welcome. :)

Hi all, I have just come across to the UK and in the process of establishing myself. Currently based in London and been a qualified electrician in Australia for 10 years after completing a 4 year apprenticeship. I have completed the 18th edition, AM2 and have had my Aus qualification recognised as NVQ3 equivalent. Will be applying for an ECS gold card after doing the HSE next week. I will be looking to start work in the new year. I have a couple questions: 1. what conditions and rates of pay could I expect and what is the best form of employment e.g PAYE or CIS; and 2. What other qualifications could boost my income eg Inspection and testing?
Thanks for any feedback!
All very nice, just to let you know we are beating you 27-13 at the moment in Rugby :D
Welcome aboard

Thanks for any feedback!
I prefer CIS myself but you will have to allow for your holiday pay and accountants fees mate, good luck though.

Hey David, I to have just moved from Australia to the Uk and am in the process of working towards obtaining my JIB Card, Was just Wondering Where you did the AM2, and how you hard you found it?with the differences of ring circuits/M.E.N and standards ect.. . Also would much appreciate any tips as you've already been through it. Am about to take the 18th edition next week, any Help would be much appreciated. macca

Hello Macca this thread is a few months old and you may be better off starting a new thread to get a response to your query.

Hey McCauley. I did the AM2 at CNWL in North London. Get yourself a copy of Guidance Note 3 and read it cover to cover. It has a lot of information about how things are done over here, especially wiring practices (e.g. rings and radials, earthing practices and Testing procedures). There is loads of information online from others about what is required for the AM2, so do a bit of research and you should be fine.

Have you already booked your 18th? I did mine through Learnzone media online and found it to be the cheapest and easiest.

Where about in the UK are you?

Hey David, thanks for the reply. I have just completed the 18th edition last week, did the 3 day course and it was great, am currently living in the West Midlands but am thinking of working in London or another city once I get an ecs card as I don’t want to pay for car insurance at the moment, earthing and testing on ring circuits seam to be afair bit different as well as cable colours and b type CB’s but am going to study, I will look up guidance note 3 now , cheers :)

Reply to Aussie Sparky new to UK in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net