Discuss Automatic disconnection of supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can the above method alone be classed as basic protection according to 131.2.1 it can. Based on that regulation you can leave live terminals exposed if supplied by a 30mA RCD

Isn't 'basic protection' where you can't touch any live parts by means of barriers, enclosures and things like that.

basically, it says that basic protection can be provided by making sure current can't pass through a body from direct contact with live parts, oe limiting that current to a safe level.

it does not say anywhere in BS7671 that you can have exposed live parts. the above reg. is meant for accidental contact with live parts if. for example, a cover is removed exposing those parts to touch.

I know it's not true but based on that reg alone it states :

Basic Protection
Persons and livestock shall be protected against dangers that may arise from contact with live parts of the installation.

This protection can be achieved by one of the following methods:

1. Preventing a current passing through the body of any person or any livestock
  2. Limiting the current which can pass through a body to a non-hazardous valve
Now taking that to the letter without referring to any other regulation an RCD does exactly that, this is a very poorly written regulation and would afford you great defence in court.

but then 416.1 and subsequent regs, apply. you have no defence in court if you complied with 1 reg. and ignored another.

This protection CAN be achieved by one of the following methods:

It doesnt say "ohh and by the way not really" it clearly states you will have achieved basic protection

Basic Protection
Persons and livestock shall be protected against dangers that may arise from contact with live parts of the installation.

1. Preventing a current passing through the body of any person or any livestock
  2. Limiting the current which can pass through a body to a non-hazardous valve
Now taking that to the letter without referring to any other regulation an RCD does exactly that, this is a very poorly written regulation and would afford you great defence in court.
An RCD most certainly does NOT limit the current. It can't - the current is a product of Ohm's Law. It merely limits the duration if operating correctly.

agree. taking the human bod's resistance as 1K ohm, current is 240/1000 = 240mA. so a 30mA RCD will carry 8 x Idelta n. most RCDs trip at under 10mSec @ x5, so that limits the duration.

Basic Protection

1. Preventing a current passing through the body of any person or Limiting the current which can pass through a body to a non-hazardoany livestock
  2. us valve

I think you will find that limiting that current/duration,based on a 30mA rcd,will not provide any basic protection to certain members of our livestock community.....only another phone call to the knacker man.

Flawed argument we have either achieved basic protection or we havent, and if we haven't then the regulation 131.2.1 is nonsense
I have already pointed out why you haven't met the requirements of that Regulation with an RCD so how is it flawed?

Because by definition basic protection stops the flow of current and also by definition an RCD provides basic protection regulation 131.2.1 says it does,
Where does Regulation 131.2.1 state or even imply that an RCD provides basic protection?

Also I would suggest that basic protection prevents you from coming into contact with live parts as opposed to stopping the flow of current. (We used to refer to it as protection against direct contact.)

Reply to Automatic disconnection of supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net