Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Automatic driveway lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. comptonspark

comptonspark Active EF Member

Client wants lights down his drive to be automatically contolled from either end, so they come on when a vehicle leaves the house or enters the drive from the road. There is an existing new 2.5mm three core SWA under the drive which will need to power the lights and any controls.

So my thoughts - a beam photocell triggering a staircase timer ( to give the required on-time) at each end with the whole lot powered from a dusk to dawn photocell to give the required daylight control. I think this will work but it seems a bit cumbersome, so anybody got any better ideas?

thanks in advance for your thoughts

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    Pir.....

3. cook1e

cook1e Regular EF Member

wireless pirs even !

martin

4. comptonspark

comptonspark Active EF Member

Yes thought about using standard PIR but was concerned that the detection area would be too wide to ensure lights were just triggered when a vehicle passes. was also concerned about mounting PIR at low level on the plinth to the lights - there isn't anywhere else for it to go short of putting up a spearate pole.

5. cook1e

cook1e Regular EF Member

you can mask the pir to limit coverage

martin

6. Dave 85

Dave 85 Guest

I just did a very similar job last week, 6 LED post lights, 1 PIR each end, 3core 1.5 SWA, (Live, switched live and neutral with armour earth)

7. Marvo

Marvo Gender Confused Staff Member

If it's an area where a PIR might nuisance trigger then maybe an inductive loop sensor.

8. monjoor

monjoor Regular EF Member

Hi I can make you one if you like.

2x PIR motion sensors - time adjustable control board (relay based) - Dusk till dawn photocell which activates when required.

Monjoor
    Electronics controls engineer

9. shocking_eg

shocking_eg Guest

10. Marvo

I suspect the driveway lights would have been installed by now and may even be out of warranty, the thread is 14 months old. ;)

11. shocking_eg

shocking_eg Guest

haha just blimmin noticed the date !!!

why the hell was this brought up from the grave !!?

12. Marvo

Not sure, it's Monjoor's first post so maybe it was through high rankings in a Google search.

Welcome to the forum by the way Monjoor, you can post an introduction here if you like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.