Discuss AV Engineers??? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pmac10

Evening all, i'm sure i,ve read posts on here from AV engineers and i have a problem with a samsung flat screen (no picture/sound ok), ive looked at AV forums but the experts dont seem to want to frighten people with technical explanations which is exactly what i'm after.
Thanks in advance.:)

Thanks grant, its a 2 or 3 year old LCD (father in laws'), i was thinking backlight problem myself, is this the sort of thing i could source the part for and repair (i have pcb repair experience)?

a lot of the parts in the driver circuits are custom made (IC's etc) for the TV companies, and a lot of companies have a no repair policy now in that they do not offer a repair service and refuse to sell you parts so that you just buy a new unit, I had a company over here refuse to sell me a spare part for a rear projector TV about a year ago, gave me the patter that only their manufacturers hold the parts and that they are all stored in China, given that the TV was made in the USA for a Japanese company, I made my enquiries there and was informed parts were in stock and were all made in Mexico not China, got part for 85 dollars, 2 weeks later arrived and fitted by another person as I was doing other things, sorted.

a lot of the parts in the driver circuits are custom made (IC's etc) for the TV companies, and a lot of companies have a no repair policy now in that they do not offer a repair service and refuse to sell you parts so that you just buy a new unit, I had a company over here refuse to sell me a spare part for a rear projector TV about a year ago, gave me the patter that only their manufacturers hold the parts and that they are all stored in China, given that the TV was made in the USA for a Japanese company, I made my enquiries there and was informed parts were in stock and were all made in Mexico not China, got part for 85 dollars, 2 weeks later arrived and fitted by another person as I was doing other things, sorted.

Even TV repair companies have great difficulty findind spares for flat screen TV's. I was in the tv repair business for 30 years but the bottom fell out about 10 years ago. If its a " cheapie" go to the tip with it and get a new one. It pains me to say it but thats the way it is now. Even I wont even bother to take the back off.

thanks for all the replies lads, much appreciated. the father in law has just arrived back with a new tv so i thought this might be a small project, but sounds like no. i know what manufacturers are like when they say custom parts and only we supply these, ive encountered these responses many times with industrial machinery and a quick RS search turns up plenty at a fraction of the price.
thanks again:cool:

Reply to AV Engineers??? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net