Discuss Awkward sign-lighting job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mot

Hi,

I've been asked to install an outside light to illuminate a sign for a small business. Problem is that the shop is 3 floors up and I can't easily get above the sign to light it from above. It can be reached from the side, and I'm currently looking for an outside light that could shine sideways across the sign without losing its waterproof integrity.

Anyone know of such a thing / done a similar install?

Thanks.

I did Brd city sponsor sign lighting in LED floods the hire of a telescopic style cherry picker was needed at approx 5 storeys high.... i cant see why you have problems with a much smaller job.... explain to the customer the hire costs of the unit and also maintenance of the lighting will also require additional costs , the only downfall of having lighting inaccessable is if one fails within warranty then you have to folk out the costs of rehire off your own back which isnt cheap.

Have you tried floor mounted flooding system to wall wash the sign from below if the job allows.

Any light fittings IP rating will be the same no. After which round you install it, it just depends how it looks that will affect what the customer thinks.

Well in that case then read the manufacturers instructions to see what they say, can't say I have ever seen that wrote on them before. Maybe you could install up lighters?

Dilb its not always in the instructions but sometimes written UP^ on the backplate you mount, the IP rating can quicly be downgraded if fitting isn't fitted the correct way as water may sit on seals rather than drain off or even UV may damage seals usually protected from the sun by their normal position..... also some fittings may have small drain holes which would be rendered useless if not fitted the correct way, i regularly see manu' instructions explaining acceptable orientation.

Also a point to bring up is Lamps ...some have a designed orientation and should be fitted as such i.e. Vertical or Horizontal.

Dillb, Darkwood - thanks for your replies. In the end couldn't find a fitting that could be mounted sideways without compromising the IP rating. I think it would look have probably looked rubbish, too. I told the customer that the cherry picker is the sensible way to do this and I'm waiting to hear back now.

Is the shop above a public footpath? if so it will need to be assessed properly, you may find a cherry picker(which would be my choice) may not be allowed due to public access and you may have to install a tower they can walk under lmao, silly but a possibility even though it is ridiculous, unless you work out of normal hours and then may be granted a permit to work, if not in a public area, then forget the whole thing :smilielol5:

Reply to Awkward sign-lighting job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net