Discuss Aye or Naw? Trimming RCBO Leads in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MFS Electrical

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was always taught never to trim RCBO leads. I noticed on another thread the other day/earlier on that someone said they did.
What’s the general consensus on the subject? The reasons explained to me as to why we shouldn’t cut them were the RCBO was calibrated with that length of cable on so it shouldn’t be changed (I suspect this is a load of crap) and because it’s flexible cable and terminated with a ferrule or tinned it shouldnt be cut because it would make the connection worse. To this day I’ve never chopped one RCBO lead. I just usually loose the extra length neatly inside the enclosure. Obviously if the Manufacturers instructions say don’t cut then we shouldnt be cutting them, end of.
Thoughts?

Bootlace ferrules. Either French or German.
So far it Looks like it’s time for some new toys :D

I’ve never actually paid much attention to the leads but do you tend to find that specific manufacturers standardise across the range and make them all the same CSA or vary it depending on the rating?

Looks good actually I like knipex but it is a ridiculous price so this could be the one. What is all this French and German colour scheme I thought we were meant to be 'harmonised colours' so we'd be the same as them

if it don't fit in the crimp tool. it fits under the hammer.

Of course, you get different types of squishing...
Tel, that looks like it produces a square profile?
Good for some terminals, for sure, especially those where a plate is pushed down by the screw, but the octagonal ones are nearer to round, and the "normal" ones have a good all-type profile which suits the main shape of terminals which are rounded at the bottom and the screw sits squarely on the dimpled side

Reply to Aye or Naw? Trimming RCBO Leads in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock