Discuss Back box lugs and cross threads. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Is it worth while re tapping lugs on back boxes? Just ordered a 3.5mm tapping tool as I had an issue at the weekend with the head of a screw shearing off and the resulting pain in the neck hassel of getting the remaining screw shaft out of the lug. This must be a very common problem. Is re tapping effective bearing in mind there isn't that much metal there in the first place?

If tapping out the lug is unsuccessful, you can also try drilling out the back of the box in line with the lug and use a long screw to reach right to the back. I have also managed to replace a lug before (obviously not a fixed one). I have also placed the threaded section from a drylining box behind the lug and managed to catch it with a screw and used that to secure the switch/socket. I found some of the older backbox screws my dad gave me are tighter in modern back boxes and seem to work without tapping.

On the odd time I have a duff thread I just use the junior hack saw to score the end of one of the screws alone the shaft. It makes a crude tap. Screw it in and it re-cuts the thread. Normally works.

In conclusion, when you haven't got one you wished you did and when you've got one it doesn't matter whether the thread is good or not - get me?

Yes these tools are worth having, I've got M3.5, M4 and an M20x1.5/M25x1.5 combined jobby, all very useful.

Useful to squeeze the lug with mole grips first, then re-tap. If you want to be nasty you can use a 3.5 nut and spring washer, nips up fine if you put a plug into the socket and pull it gently forwards as you tighten the screw. Guaranteed to drive the next person mad, specially under a kitchen cupboard.

Last time I used taps and dies was aged 11 in metal work when making a screw driver. That was after the regulation key fob in metal which had followed the regulation laminated acrylic plastic key fob.

The M3.5 tap is also useful when plasterers of today fill up the lugs with cr@p, as well as a fair bit of the box. There was a time when they cleaned boxes out really well but that seems a rarity these days. :mad:

I carry M3.5 and M4, and yes they are invaluable. As mentioned, if the screw 'pops', then compress the lug slightly then re-tap. At the moment I am retrofitting bollards in a caravan park whereby I remove the top half of the attaching plate, leaving the bottom half of the plate attached to the part in the ground. This leaves me with an 8" flat plate with the cable coming through, which I then drill and tap to accept M10 bolts for the new bollard. Oh, and did I mention it was raining.

To make matters worse, the old cables were terminated into 4" metal boxes that don't fit into the new bollards so i also have to grind these off before reglanding the SWA into galv U-boxes with a flex outlet.

Oh, and did I mention it was raining?

Reply to Back box lugs and cross threads. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock