Discuss Back in the 2391 days in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If the PFC given was calculated with root 3. Then 1600 would have to be divided by root 3 giving 923.8. Then it's 230/923.8 = 0.248

Don't remember the exam being that complicated really. So I am staying with 230/1600

Final Answer

You can shoot me down in flames now.

I would have went with 800, and came up with 0.29

On my 2391 we were told to double the highest SP PSSC to derive the TP PSSC
As this is a TNC-S supply the SP PFC will be the same as the PEFC (without the bonding)

But the question is not clear, the PSSC measurement issues aside (technically root 3), the PEFC would be taken with all bonding connected too.

With respect your teacher was a c u next Tuesday.

I have many arguments on site today about root 3, and doubling.

All current books will use root 3.

With respect your teacher was a c u next Tuesday.

I have many arguments on site today about root 3, and doubling.

All current books will use root 3.

The 'rule of thumb' given in GN3 uses the double SP PSSC rule, as this errs on the side of caution Pg 55 GN3

Last edited:
^ rule of thumb is a quick answer and not correct. Not going to say anything more on the matter. Unless you want to start another thread.

I would have went with 800, and came up with 0.29

On my 2391 we were told to double the highest SP PSSC to derive the TP PSSC
As this is a TNC-S supply the SP PFC will be the same as the PEFC (without the bonding)

But the question is not clear, the PSSC measurement issues aside (technically root 3), the PEFC would be taken with all bonding connected too.

This is the area to consider!

Not really sure why we are splitting hairs whether to double or root 3, as this reading is not very accurate anyway, so much so that on SP installs you are supposed to take three readings and pick the highest, a slight change of loop impedance measurement has a massive effect on the PFC reading, most 'common' instruments that we use do not have the accuracy, hence the double errs on the side of caution rule.

Incidentally I have a 400V capable meter and it gives a lower reading than the calculated.

Here is a past 2391 paper Q & A, sorry about the formatting of the equation in the answer, but you get the gist.

Q20: For a TNC-S system, supplied at 230V, 50 Ha, state
a) why PSCC and PEFC are the same (1 mark)
b) the value of PFC if Ze was 0.01 (1 mark)
c) the approximate value of PFC between phases if the single-phase value
was 10 000A.
(1 mark)

A20: PSCC and PEFC
a. PSCC and PEFC are the same because the neutral and earth conductors are
combined up to the service head where the measurement is taken.
b. If Ze = 0.01, then using the formula
a
oc
s I
U
Z = where Uoc is taken as 240V for a
nominal 230V supply voltage (Uo), then PFC 24kA
= 240 =
c. If single-phase PFC is 10kA, an approximate value for PFC between phases is
found by doubling this value to 20kA.

Last edited:

Reply to Back in the 2391 days in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock