Discuss back to basics higher the volts lower the amps? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi guys

am i right in saying that generally the higher the amps the lower the volts ??

watts divided by amps = volts
watts divided by volts = amps
amps x volts = watts

taking that in mind a 12v extra low voltage spot light which is 50 watts = 4.1 amps

240v low voltage 100w bulb = 0.4 amps

if this is true wouldn't that make 110v more dangerous then 240v because of the high number of amps?? or is 110v not enough voltage to push the current through the resistance of a person. getting a bit confused any advice would be great. cheers in advance

Last edited:
forget watts when talking about personal protection...

Each and every person has a resistance... Apply a voltage to that person, then the current that would flow would be governed by I=V/R. Making higher voltage much more dangerous.

According to your principles, I should have recieved a fatal shock today when changing my calculator battery. :)

i agree with the fact that 240 v is more dangerous then 120v

am i right about the relationship about between volts and amps , one rises and the other drops??

also i think all you need to receive a fatal shock is enough voltage to push about 60mA across your chest

a car battery is typically 12v 50 amps so more then enough amps but not enough volts
a static shock from carpet can be over 1000 volts but guess not enough amps

is this correct???

Static electricity is both high voltage and high current, however the duration is very short.

What he said.

Current is governed only by your resistance and the voltage applied....

BUT 1 AMP is 1 coulomb of charge per second. so if there is not enuff charge present then the flow of electrons ceases in an instant. So you never do get a high current shock from static, like my wife says 'it's all over too quickly'

Duration is the key to fatality.

What he said.

Current is governed only by your resistance and the voltage applied....

BUT 1 AMP is 1 coulomb of charge per second. so if there is not enuff charge present then the flow of electrons ceases in an instant. So you never do get a high current shock from static, like my wife says 'it's all over too quickly'

Duration is the key to fatality.

Your wifes always telling me that too:D

I believe it's something to do with getting shocked by 110v and only recieving half of this (can't remember the science why, maybe electrical seperation???) but 55v isn't enough tho penetrate the human body (60v minimum).
I think it's something along those lines.

I believe it's something to do with getting shocked by 110v and only recieving half of this (can't remember the science why, maybe electrical seperation???) but 55v isn't enough tho penetrate the human body (60v minimum).

Hmm you'll be talking about centre tapped site transformers.

IIRC the centre of the seconday winding of the transformer is tapped to earth. 110V is induced on the secondary forcing the live to 55V and the Neutral to a not so neutral -55V giving a potential between conductors of 110V. So unless you grab live and neutral then the max you can get is 55 or -55.

Presuming you're referring to Reduced Low Voltage, it is centre-tapped with 55V to earth and 110V between live conductors.

hi guys

am i right in saying that generally the higher the amps the lower the volts ??

watts divided by amps = volts
watts divided by volts = amps
amps x volts = watts

taking that in mind a 12v extra low voltage spot light which is 50 watts = 4.1 amps

240v low voltage 100w bulb = 0.4 amps

if this is true wouldn't that make 110v more dangerous then 240v because of the high number of amps?? or is 110v not enough voltage to push the current through the resistance of a person. getting a bit confused any advice would be great. cheers in advance

Voltages dont jump up and down!! you get a 230v supply or higher if 3 phase but the supply stays the same all the time!!! its the resistance you put in between the supply trying to get to 0 volts( potential difference) that causes higher amps!!!!!

Voltages dont jump up and down!! you get a 230v supply or higher if 3 phase but the supply stays the same all the time!!! its the resistance you put in between the supply trying to get to 0 volts( potential difference) that causes higher amps!!!!!

which brings us back to answer number 1 by GstueyXR who also rightly pointed this out:)

Last edited by a moderator:
good now i can explain to my boss that higher voltage doesn't equal higher current :)

But is does.

Assume resistance remains unchanged e.g. 10 ohms

230 volts divided by 10 ohms = 23 amps

2300 volts divided by 10 ohms = 230 amps

so the current in a conductor is directly proportional to voltage, and inversly proportional to resistance.

Can't remember who said that........;)

Reply to back to basics higher the volts lower the amps? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock